server

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
im gettin my server up and runnin soon. is there any point in me gettin windows aerver 2003 for it or is xp pro enough? whats the differences? its only a 400.

Hmmmm, lots of questions. Lets start with something simple...

What are you going to be using it for?
What kind of network are you implementing?
Network wise....Domain or Workgroup?
Are you going to need any strong IIS modules loaded?
What are some more specific specs of this computer?

-Mike

ok here we go,
brothers:
1.2 thunderbird
256 sdram
10gig HDD
geforece 2 64mb
onboard sound

server
400 amd k7 i think
320sdram
40gig HDD
onboard graphics

it mainly gonna be used for files sharin between comps, also for dsl connection and wen mine comp is on for printer sharing aswel.
what kind of network? not sure what u mean but it at home and i already conect my 2700xp to my server for ne access cos i leave it on downloadin as my main comp is full of lights a stuff, (it in my room)
dunno whay u mean IIS modules?

thanks for your help

I would personally get Win 2000. For a basic file/print/internet sharing tool, you'll find that 2000 will work for your needs much better than XP. XP has a lot of bells and whistles that will initially slow down performance with the kind of computer that you are placing it on. And 2003 is more expensive and totally unncesesary.

-Mike

u can shut off the bells and whistles so to speak in xp, rite click my computer, properties, advanced tab, performance, settings, visual whatever and uncheck all the boxes and change to classic view, also msconfig and get rid of ne unnecessary programs and services.

I realize this, but as a network file/print/internet sharing tool, I'd still go with 2000. Less, configuration and the internet firewall for XP (even though you can turn it off) causes so many networking problems....just look in the networking forum every day....I see at least 2 of these a day.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom