Serious Vista Network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane12m

In Runtime
Hello Everyone first of all thank you for taking the time to read this
(i have vista home premium)
I got my laptop about 2months ago now and I can connect to the internet just fin eat my home, with a westel versalink wireless router..now whenever I take it anywhere else that has a wireless router (my friends houses) it never works there..for some reason it will always say the router has excellent signal strength
but when I try to connect there is an issue

It says it cant connect and when I diagnose the problem it says not getting any response from the router..the wierd thing is , is that both routers at my friends house are the exact same as mine at home and they have the same ISP as me?

I dont know what to do I even ran through all the trouble shooting advice like check for interference and so on..

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but when I set up a network with my home computer ..lets say my home computer is c1 and my laptop is c2 I can access files from c1 to c2 but not c2 to c1 ..this is strange but not sure if this is related as it is said to be an ISP problem

Ok well thank you so much for any help ..I will be very gratefull!!

Okay let me ask this. Since you set up the network does you laptop find anything like open access points or anything like that? Do you ahve the WiFi enabled for access on any network?

Thanks but none of that really makes since to me ..I was able to auto connect to my router the first time it was turned on ..no prob but not at anyones house?
I understand the part where the router could be set to not send signals but at the same time I dont understand because i cant just change thier configs its not mine

Sorry im not very smart with this stuff
Thanks

You might not have the WEP key to get signal from his router. At the same time you have to have Vista setup to actively scan for new networks when you are at his house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom