Selling Old Computer. Will A Format Be Enough? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Selling Old Computer. Will A Format Be Enough?

Ive had an old computer in my house for a few years and im selling it on Ebay.

Its clogged with old files so Im going to format the HD. But Im worried that even with that is there any chance someone could access the old files? Im not too sure whats on there but i think banking details and the like - stuff you wouldnt want a stranger to have access to - may be around.

What should I do?

Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Selling Old Computer. Will A Format Be Enough?

They still could access the files with any kind of recovery software. A low level format would get rid of it also PowerMax (?) might get rid of it.

MajorGeeks.Com - Contacting Download Site

Try there.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

get boot and nuke. Otherwise known as dban. It writes to the drive 6 times then erases at the end. Its good enough for government standards, should be good enough for you.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Killdisk is also a good one. Writes zeros to every sector on the drive. You can run it as many times as you feel like it. Free too.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Like Veedub and superdave have said...either Boot And Nuke or Killdisk are both good ones. There are others out there, but those 2 are the most popular. Both are free, and both will make it impossible to recover data. And like Veedub said...yes Boot And Nuke is military-grade erasing software.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

just use powermax and save 24 hrs. what are the chances of you giving it to somebody who actually care enough to try to recover data on a wiped computer?

if they care enough to try to get it (they are at an expert level), none of the other programs will work anyway.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
just use powermax and save 24 hrs. what are the chances of you giving it to somebody who actually care enough to try to recover data on a wiped computer?

if they care enough to try to get it (they are at an expert level), none of the other programs will work anyway.
That is totally true. If they care that much there are ways to get it even after using things like Kill Disc and DBan.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Buy a cheap hard drive from your local computer store and apply the hammer method to your old one. Then in your ebay ad you can tout the fact that the machine has a new hd and hopefully get more coin for it.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

The likelihood that anyone would A: care enough to bother trying anything to get data from it and B: be able to get past a 6-time-over DBAN wipe is so slim it's ridiculous. The only exception is if you sold your PC to the FBI or computer forensics students who are learning to recover data...and that's even more unlikely. There's no reason to destroy your hard drive over it. If you are really that serious (which I think is insane), replace the drive and sell it with a new drive, and keep the old drive for your newer computers.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Actually getting hte software to recover the 6 DBan wipe isnt that hard. Just look on your favorite torrent site. Most of them have it. Just cause it meets Gov't standards doesnt mean teh gov't doesnt have tools to still recover those files.

Closed Thread