security on exchange server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaingsokheng

Baseband Member
dear all

recently i have just installed exchange server 2003. i know some of the third party software mention about security in exchange but i don't know at all about the built in security in exchange server. so could anyone show me with the exchange server built in security please?

thanks,
Heng:p

Well there is a built-in firewall, and there are administrative tools to implement security regarding mailboxes, stores, etc., that are part of the Exchange Server 2003 design. In other words, as an administrator of Exchange, you can control who gets what mail from what domains (or not), among many other things you can do to control security.

And of course, you have Active Directory security controls that work very well with Exchange.

I am not getting in to specifics because I don't know how familiar you are with Exchange and Active Directory in Windows Server 2003 or 2008. Which are you running ?

Edit:

Ok, I thought of an example. If you have someone who is a temporary employee of your company, you can set up an account where they can get e-mail but have no other control. They can log into the domain but only with proper authentication and permissions created by an administrator with permissions (such as an Enterprise Administrator, who has basically all permissions) and to access only one inbox. I know it's not a very technical description, but again, I dont want to bog you down with technical terms until I know how much you understand about Exchange and Windows Server OSes.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/security/default.mspx
Microsoft Exchange Server: Exchange Server Version Comparison
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Software Development Kit

Sorry this one is not as simple as just us telling you. You will have to read about this yourself and find out for yourself. As it is a Server and there are something ON by default and others which you can turn ON. This one will be up to you to read and configure for yourself to make it as secure as you want it.

In retrospect, my response may have been too simplistic as far as giving an example to something as broad as Exchange in all its flavors... however to the OP:

thaingsokheng,
If you understand what is in Mak's links, then great. If you have some questions, you can reply with those questions. I am just not sure of your capability, so to further enhance dialog feel free to post questions and maybe some one can help - usually there is. :)

ok thanks for all you informantion!

i installed exchange server 2003 on a test pc that install window server 2003 enterprize edition.
what i know is just can make them work properly both exchange system manager and Active direcory.
i am not clear at all about the security that when i put the exchange server to send and receive mail from diffrence domain through internet. i know that many kinds of viruses(like spam worm trojan.....) attach themsefl with mail so if i am poor with security i will get trouble with viruses. i have already use GFI mail security but what i really wanna use is the exchange built-in security then other else.befor post here i try to search serveral day and find there are some tools in exchange server that mention about security loke Intelligent Mail filter. it is the additinal tool for exchange that can filter the virus from mail.so could any one advise me more clearly about this additional tool please?
please forgive me if any mistake i made.

thank in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom