Security - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Security

If I have a netgear firewall, McAfee anti virus, ran all MS updates for my machine, run spybot once a week, check for updates and run Ad-aware every other day.... is that enough of a safety valve to prevent viruses? Responses are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to lazerman Send a message via Yahoo to lazerman

I'm not pro but I do all of the above and I still get viruses. New viruses are being created all the time, it's hard to keep up to date by the minute.

Old 05-01-2004, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

What lazerman said is true, new viruses are constantly coming out. But, if you keep your AV definitions up to date, your spyware up to date and excercise common sense.. you will be ok.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by HoLoCroN
What lazerman said is true, new viruses are constantly coming out. But, if you keep your AV definitions up to date, your spyware up to date and excercise common sense.. you will be ok.
I havent gotten a virus on my computer in years. Wana know my secret? Dont open things unless you know what they are!
Old 05-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Well, all I did was click on a web site and I received one. So I have to say that's not true.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Dont open things unless you know what they are! I agree, if you have NAV, even you receive email attached with virus it will scan then alert you then you can delete before downloading it.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to T1junkie

the only way to completely prevent getting virii is to never connect your computer to a network or transfer any file from a computer that is connected...

24giovanni> the methods you stated should be effective but there are always exceptions...

"Dont open things unless you know what they are!" That is the best way... but there may be an infected file that you open because you know what it is...
ie: getting an expected email from a friend that contains a new virus...
80 GB Ultra ATA, 5400 RPM
14.1\" LCD
Windows XP Pro
DVD-R
64MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
Integrated 802.11A/B/G, Bluetooth, 10/100/1000 Eth.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosBlizzard
I havent gotten a virus on my computer in years. Wana know my secret? Dont open things unless you know what they are!
Chaos,

This attitude will save you loads of headaches but like mentioned before, the days of getting a virus just by opening an email are long gone. Now... virii are much more interactive and smarter.. all you need to do is open up the wrong web page and boom.. you are infected and you will never know it (Unless you stay current with the AV definitions). I just wanted to mention this because it really pays to be proactive instead of reactive when it comes to your system integrity and virus infections. Hopefully those out there will take heed and update their systems with some sort of AV software.

Closed Thread