Securing Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
hey,
i am right now configuring my network. i have set a wep key but there are a bunch of other options such as Shared Key, WAP, and WAP-PSK. i have Opened system checked right now but i was just wondering what all of the other ones do

thanx for any help.

SkyHi,
if you don't know, don't respond. Post trolling by saying Google them is not going to get you very far.

As far as most of the other configs, it's beyond standard consumer needs. if you are really concerned with secuirty, then you might consider using WAP and a VPN, but I believe it requires another system to manage.
WAP:
Wi-Fi 802.11a and b offers built-in WAP 128-bit encryption. This is specified in the original 802.11 foundation document. Use of this in an office is strongly suggested at the 128bit level. It must be turned on, configured, documented, and managed to work effectively. Using WAP is not simple, or intuitive. WAP is not total security, however; WAP can be broken by hackers with patience. A VPN is required for complete security in an office environment.
from: http://www.softprose.com/proposals/wireless.html#wap

WEP isn't really all the secure. There is a tool called aircrack and airsnort that can crack a wep key in as little as 3 minutes. Anyone heard of this before?
First of all WEP, short for Wired Equivalent Privacy, is used at the two lowest layers of the OSI model - the data link and physical layers; it therefore does not offer end-to-end security.

WEP has three settings: Off (no security), 64-bit (weak security), 128-bit (a bit better security). WEP is not difficult to crack, and using it reduces performance slightly.

If you want the best wireless encryption, use WPA if available.

How big is your network?If it is only a few PC's, go with MAC Address filters. They are extremely useful and easy to configure, and prove to be quite a challenge for the average hacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom