Second disk not accessable after format of first - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default Second disk not accessable after format of first

Hi - I've just finished formatting C: on my other PC, reinstalling windows and all. The second hard disk in my computer (previously named H:, now it's D appears to be inaccessable now. I can upen the root folder on the disk, but when I click on My Documents from there (My Documents is on D, I get an alert: "D:\My Documents is not accessible. Access is denied."

Does anybody have any idea why might be causing this, and/or how to fix it? I'd really appreciate your input - Thanks a lot in advance.
__________________

Isolize is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,817
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default

I think you need to change the path of your my documents to C:\Documents and Settings\Isolize\My Documents
__________________

__________________
Osiris is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Osiris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 36,817
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default

If that dont work do this:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder

Administrators have a lot of power on XP machines. One manifestation of that power is the ability to take ownership of files or folders on NTFS partitions that were created by other users. The owner of a file or folder can change its permissions, thus controlling who can and can't access it. Note that once you take ownership, though, you can't give it back without the other user knowing. Here's how to take ownership of an NTFS object in XP Pro:

1. Log on as Administrator.

2. First you need to turn off simple file sharing if it's on. To do that, click Start | My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, then the View tab. Go to Advanced Settings and clear the box that says Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended). Click OK.

3. Now navigate to the folder you want to own, and right click it. Select Properties from the context menu.

4. Click the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list under "Change owner to," click Administrators. If you also want to take over ownership of everything within a folder, check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

6. Click OK. Remember that this only works on files and folders stored on NTFS partitions. Objects stored on FAT partitions don't have owners or file level permissions. You can't turn off simple file sharing in XP Home edition, but you can take ownership by booting into XP in Safe Mode as Administrator, and then following steps 3 through 6.
__________________
Osiris is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
If that dont work do this:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder

Administrators have a lot of power on XP machines. One manifestation of that power is the ability to take ownership of files or folders on NTFS partitions that were created by other users. The owner of a file or folder can change its permissions, thus controlling who can and can't access it. Note that once you take ownership, though, you can't give it back without the other user knowing. Here's how to take ownership of an NTFS object in XP Pro:

1. Log on as Administrator.

2. First you need to turn off simple file sharing if it's on. To do that, click Start | My Computer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, then the View tab. Go to Advanced Settings and clear the box that says Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended). Click OK.

3. Now navigate to the folder you want to own, and right click it. Select Properties from the context menu.

4. Click the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and click the Owner tab.

5. In the Name list under "Change owner to," click Administrators. If you also want to take over ownership of everything within a folder, check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

6. Click OK. Remember that this only works on files and folders stored on NTFS partitions. Objects stored on FAT partitions don't have owners or file level permissions. You can't turn off simple file sharing in XP Home edition, but you can take ownership by booting into XP in Safe Mode as Administrator, and then following steps 3 through 6.
I had somebody recommend something along these lines else where as well, and I ran into the same two problems - There is no 'Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)' in that list, and then I go to 'Properties' on the folder I need to gain access to there is no 'Security' tab.

Thanks for the prompt reply, though, and I'd grreatly appreciate it if you could enlighten me on what's wrong here. I'll take a look around for troubleshooting that method as well.
Isolize is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Isolize
I had somebody recommend something along these lines else where as well, and I ran into the same two problems - There is no 'Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)' in that list, and then I go to 'Properties' on the folder I need to gain access to there is no 'Security' tab.

Thanks for the prompt reply, though, and I'd grreatly appreciate it if you could enlighten me on what's wrong here. I'll take a look around for troubleshooting that method as well.
go into safe mode as admin. the security or permission tab is there
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default

I just tried it in safe mode - I still can't see the option. I also just tried it on this laptop, it's still not there. We're talking about Windows XP Home here, right?
Isolize is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

from another post of mine

you go into safe mode rightclick the owner documents, select properties, select security, you will some options there too, but click on the advance tab. here you have the options for all of the folder permissions and you can change them.

I couldn't capture a page in safe mode. I will upload a picture from my camera. hopefully you can see it
http://www.techist.com/showthread.ph...s&pagenumber=2
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
from another post of mine

you go into safe mode rightclick the owner documents, select properties, select security, you will some options there too, but click on the advance tab. here you have the options for all of the folder permissions and you can change them.

I couldn't capture a page in safe mode. I will upload a picture from my camera. hopefully you can see it
http://www.techist.com/showthread.ph...s&pagenumber=2
Ok, after a few tries I found the 'Security' tab. Now when I click on it, it says: "You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for My Documents, but you can take ownership or change auditing settings."

That sounds alright, but it won't let me change the owner of the file. I'd take pictures if I had a digital camera in the house, but I'm afraid I don't.

I'll try my best to describe it. When I click 'ok' on that alert, it brings me to the 'Security' tab. Here, the top box is empty and the bottom has 'Full Control', Modify', etc. but all of the check boxes are disabled. When I click 'Advanced', the first box I see is empty. Under 'auditing' it's the same. Then, under 'Owner', I see this:

Administrators (GAVIN1\Administrators)
Gavin (GAVIN1\Owner)

So I click the second one and then check 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'. It does a little bit of work changing permissions, and then leaves me to it. Now I can view the folder and change the files, still in safe mode. As soon as I leave safe mode, access is disabled again.


I really appreciate the effort you're putting forth, and if you have any idea what's going on now I'd still be greatful to hear them.

I'll be going in 15 minutes or so and won't be back on the computer for about 20 hours, just to let you know.
Isolize is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 11,861
Default

copy (or cut) and paste the files out of those folders and put them somewhere else, then delete them
__________________
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
EricB is offline  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Default

We're talking about a 55GB folder here, lol.. If you're sure it'll work I'll go ahead and do it, though. It sounds like it should.
__________________

Isolize is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.