Searching for Software - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Searching for Software

Hey guys.... i just built a comp for my little sister (12 years old) as a birthday present from my parents (and me) to her. I got everything set up but now my mom is asking me to help her do the following things. I need a program that can regulate the time a certain program ( ie: MSN Messenger, Games etc...) is used or where u can set up a certain period of time when that program can be used. So therefore i could enter that ie: MSN messenger can be used from 5-7 on weekdays and 5-9 on weekends. The program also needs to be able to limit internet surfing and stuff like that. It also needs to have a friendly user interface and be easy to use as my mother is not very good with computers.

Ps: Needs password protection....

Thankx

Old 07-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

here is an interesting one. See what you think
http://stopspam.4t.com/pctimecop.html

Old 07-21-2004, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

what operating system is on the computer if it is XP you can set up the parental controls in IE to limit her web surfing. As for the log on times i dont think you can do that without a domain controller try looking for some third party software.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

WalnutMon
This is a legitimate question that deserves a little thought. If you are going to be a smartass and use snide remarks, please go elsewhere. You've been formally warned..... trust me when I say that you will be the only one laughing if you offer anymore spiteful and disrespectful remarks.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

He's just another assinine troll out to cause trouble and should be banned as such. I saw him earlier today posting similar comments on another forum - harware I think.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Thanks for your input Lone Wolf. Rest assured that we will take action when needed.

-Mike
Old 07-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I think them LOOKING for this software would be considered them looking after the best interest of her, other wise they wouldn't give a damn so YES they ARE paying attention to the kids. Well, if it was AD or something, the permissions would be easy. However, look here... has MANY baby sitter software for computers and shows features comparison, etc. Very handy.

http://www.internetfilterreview.com/...OVMTC=standard

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 07-21-2004, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

that was one of the ones listed in the site provided, I think. It had about 10 of them or so rated and compared side by side.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 07-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to WalnutMon

I do appoligize, I didn't realize the soft skinned nature of you guys... I will refrain from using any kinds of humor in future post... again, I am sorry... but it was a funny joke, and ya can't disagree with that

Closed Thread