Search Settings 1.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Whenever I connect a USB external HD and try to open by right clicking, a box opens up called "Search Settings 1.2.1" and it is looking for something in my my documents folder called D6310D7 in the temp folder. Any idea what this is?

I have to open my external HD's by right clicking and then opening the files.

Thanks.

...then it gives me error code 1706 when I try to canx out.

There is a registry entry or something like spyware on your PC. Scan it with Osiris's guide.

Thanks Mak. Did spyware scans w/ malwarebytes and superantispyware, nothing came up. Also my tell you that this is a fresh Vista install. I ran CCleaner and glary utilities on the registry...nothing.

What now?

Thanks.

Are you hooking the device up via a USB Hub? Does it have external power? Have you tried ALL USB Ports?

It's not even the USB drives, but internal (C) drives or any folders I created on the desktop.

Well in your first post you reference just the external. Now you saying it is every drive?

I would start testing out your hardware. RAM, CPU Stress Tests and such. there is a problem somewhere.

I thought it was just my externals, but I notice it in some internal folders...but not all. I almost think it is a folder property problem, but I searched through all the properties and dont see anything particularly wrong. I dont think it is a hardware issue though.

Alright so explain to me what is going on with this. cause i am lost now. First you say it is a external, now you say it is also internal but now it isnt fully internal cause it only affects some folders???

Is the the system drive that you used to install the OS? Cause if it is then you are infected. There is no way this issue would come up with that being your install drive.

If it is a drive from another system you have to read the Sticky Index for the vista Permission thread that i have created and use this topic for XP:

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Thanks Mak. I think I got it narrowed down to one external HD...I removed a file called "searchsettings" that was apparently some sort of malware from googling it.

Still working the permissions for opening this external HD...whenever I double click it, takes me to My Documents folder.

I think it is an internal program on the seagate external HD so that whenever you double click, it send to my documents. Still trying to figure out how to change this, I cant find anything in the properties.

If there is software for the external from Seagate have you installed it and tried using that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom