Screensaver STOP error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrocrusher

Baseband Member
Whenever my screen saver runs I get the BSOD, even on the standard Vista screen savers. I can get it to preview sometimes, but as soon as it runs I get the STOP error. I recently reformatted the hard drive, but I've never run into this problem before. Any ideas? As always, thanks for the help.

My specs:
Asus P5Q-E
Intel Core 2 Quad 9550
Vista x64 SP2
4GB Corsair XMS2 Ram
Evga 9800 GTX KO

I forced the screensaver to run and of course the BSOD occurred, but I cannot readily find any viable information in this particular error as I have been able to in the past. At the top it states "IRQL_NOT_LESS_EOR_EQUAL" and at the bottom is states "*** STOP: 0X0000000A (0X00000000001500A8, 0X000000000000000C, 0X0000000000000000, 0XFFFFF80001C6A22A". The Event Viewer log just states that the previous system shutdown was unexpected. Thanks again for taking a look at this.

Sounds like a video card/driver error. Can you download and run GPU-Z and post a screenshot of both tabs open (you'll have to start the program twice to bring it up in 2 windows).
GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

Example
gpuzr.jpg

Well it's not the EVGA Superclocked but it still a overclocked version as stock is around 675MHz core and 1100MHz (x2) memory.

What I see is your fan is running at 100% and your gpu temp is at 43dC still. Is that at an idle? It seems a little hot for 100% fan. Can you play any games or run a benchmark like 3DMark06 or Vantage? Or does it BSOD with them also?

Bug Check 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Bug Check 0xA: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bug check has a value of 0x0000000A. This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

Cause

This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.
Resolving the Problem

If a kernel debugger is available, obtain a stack trace.
To resolve an error caused by a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS
Restart your computer.
Press F8 at the character-based menu that displays the operating system choices.
Select the Last Known Good Configuration option from the Windows Advanced Options menu. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time.

To resolve an error caused by an incompatible device driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup tool
Check the System Log in Event Viewer for error messages that might identify the device or driver that caused the error.
Try disabling memory caching of the BIOS.
Run the hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner. For details on these procedures, see the owner's manual for your computer.
Make sure the latest Service Pack is installed.
If your system has small computer system interface (SCSI) adapters, contact the adapter manufacturer to obtain updated Windows drivers. Try disabling sync negotiation in the SCSI BIOS, checking the cabling and the SCSI IDs of each device, and confirming proper termination.
For integrated device electronics (IDE) devices, define the onboard IDE port as Primary only. Also, check each IDE device for the proper master/subordinate/stand-alone setting. Try removing all IDE devices except for hard disks.

If the message appears during an installation of Windows, make sure that the computer and all installed peripherals are listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.

Check for updated drivers for all your hardware, make sure you have the latest BIOS and we can move forward from there.

This is the only time that I have had a BSOD in the last year or so. I play the Crysis series on High settings without any issues all the time, so I doubt that's an issue. I will try Mak213's suggestion and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Unfortunately the previous suggestion was rather vague or was completely beyond my skillset. Is this something that I might need to do a repair on windows or do I just need to live with it? Any more ideas? Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom