screen resolution for different user in xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

digifriend

Solid State Member
i have created different user to log on winXp. but if one user change screen resolution, that resolution become effective to all user. how to stop this? even if guest user changes screen resolution, it effect all other user.

i have that too cant do anything about it on my moms comp she likes 1024 x 786 i like 1280 x 1024 but i dont go on her comp at all so it does not matter.

I am pretty sure there is nothing you can do about it unless there is some type of registry mod idk about

dude... it only takes a little more than 10 seconds to change the resolution

But, if u do find a way, it would be some sort of reg hack, prolly not very safe

it is do with administrator privilages!

make both users "Limited Accounts" then change the resolutions, that is what worked for me (make sure you install / make all the changes you need before you change the account types)

tried all account privileges
1 administrator
2 limited
3 guest

tried all three option, but as any user change resolution, it become effective to others user also.

its so simple in win 98/Me
*control panel-passwords properties-user can customise there preference.

but where has microsoft hide/removed such setting in winXp.
xp menus and submenus complicates things. for small changes also we have to run in mazes of menus /submenus.
can we really customise different user in winXp?

I dont think you can. I jusst tried it on my machine and it afftects all accounts.

Sorry, that's impossible in Windows XP. Each user must have the same resolution, though just about everything else is customizable on a user-by-user basis.

Hello,

There's a very handy free program from http://12noon.com/ which lets you change the colour depth, resolution and refresh rate of the display by running an executable.

It requires you to specify the parameters via shortcut switches, but this is very straight forward.

Download Resolution Changes from here:

http://12noon.com/files/reschange.exe

What you can do is place the shortcut with specific parameters into your startup folder in the start menu (for your user account), so that each time you login, the resolution will change automatically.

I used this program at college to force change the screen resolution, with specific shortcut switches, because the resolution of the displays were misconfigured for a long while.

When you run the program, you'll be shown a list of parameters which can be used, and instructions and examples on how to use them.

Here is how to use the program:
  1. Right click reschange.exe and create a shortcut.
  2. Name the shortcut something like reschange 1280x1024 or whatever resolution you'd like to specify....

reschange2av5.jpg

3. Then right click that shortcut file (in my case reschange 1280x1024) then click Properties...

reschangelf4.jpg

4. In the Shortcut tab, edit the path in the Target field and add switches. Here's an example:[/list=1]"C:\ResChange Example\reschange.exe" -width=1280 -height=1024 -depth=max -refresh=max

Notice that there is a space between the " at the end program path, and the first switch, and a space between all switches.

The switches I've used are:
    • -width=1280 - No. of pixels vertically.
    • -height=1024 - No. of pixels horizontally.
    • -depth=max - Set depth to max supported value. Can be set to 8, 16, 24 or 32 (depending on compatibility).
    • -refresh=max - Set refresh rate to max supported value. Change only according to the values your monitor supports.

Change the width and height according to the resolution you want. I would set depth and refresh as max to ensure that only the highest supported value is chosen. You can also set the width and height to max to force the reschange to set your the display to the highest support resolution.

For example, I've set this shortcut so that each time I run it, it will set the resolution of the display to 1280x1024 and set the colour depth and refresh rate to the maximum supported values.

To get the program to run each time you log in, place the specific shortcut file of reschage with your switches specified, into the directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\*USER*\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

Where *USER* is your own documents and settings folder of your user account. You must also make sure that the program reschange.exe is in the directory of which the shortcut is referenced to, otherwise the program will not run at logon because it won't be able to find it.

this would definatly work probably the best way of sorting the problem, (I was going to suggest a batch file but that seems do to the job nicely)

Alvin.C said:
Hello,

There's a very handy free program from http://12noon.com/ which lets you change the colour depth, resolution and refresh rate of the display by running an executable.

It requires you to specify the parameters via shortcut switches, but this is very straight forward.

Download Resolution Changes from here:

http://12noon.com/files/reschange.exe

What you can do is place the shortcut with specific parameters into your startup folder in the start menu (for your user account), so that each time you login, the resolution will change automatically.

I used this program at college to force change the screen resolution, with specific shortcut switches, because the resolution of the displays were misconfigured for a long while.

When you run the program, you'll be shown a list of parameters which can be used, and instructions and examples on how to use them.

Here is how to use the program:
  1. Right click reschange.exe and create a shortcut.
  2. Name the shortcut something like reschange 1280x1024 or whatever resolution you'd like to specify....

reschange2av5.jpg

3. Then right click that shortcut file (in my case reschange 1280x1024) then click Properties...

reschangelf4.jpg

4. In the Shortcut tab, edit the path in the Target field and add switches. Here's an example:[/list=1]"C:\ResChange Example\reschange.exe" -width=1280 -height=1024 -depth=max -refresh=max

Notice that there is a space between the " at the end program path, and the first switch, and a space between all switches.

The switches I've used are:
    • -width=1280 - No. of pixels vertically.
    • -height=1024 - No. of pixels horizontally.
    • -depth=max - Set depth to max supported value. Can be set to 8, 16, 24 or 32 (depending on compatibility).
    • -refresh=max - Set refresh rate to max supported value. Change only according to the values your monitor supports.

Change the width and height according to the resolution you want. I would set depth and refresh as max to ensure that only the highest supported value is chosen. You can also set the width and height to max to force the reschange to set your the display to the highest support resolution.

For example, I've set this shortcut so that each time I run it, it will set the resolution of the display to 1280x1024 and set the colour depth and refresh rate to the maximum supported values.

To get the program to run each time you log in, place the specific shortcut file of reschage with your switches specified, into the directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\*USER*\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\

Where *USER* is your own documents and settings folder of your user account. You must also make sure that the program reschange.exe is in the directory of which the shortcut is referenced to, otherwise the program will not run at logon because it won't be able to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom