Screen/application freezes - Firefox+Desktop interaction

Dan O'Dowd

Solid State Member
I have some form of problem with my laptop which is hard to pinpoint.

I use Firefox and Skype and since yesterday when Skype annoyingly autoupdated itself again I've had a recurrence of a problem that used to bug me something rotten.

When I have Firefox open (which is always the latest version; currently 25), if I attempt to open either Notepad or Task Manager, or even the start bar, the system freezes up. Task Manager's box outline comes up but is white and frozen, and I cannot switch tabs to anything else visibly because it stays on top in vision. But I can still interact with the other 'supposedly' top tab, blind. I end up having to completely quit Firefox, and wait a moment, before the system sorts itself out, and Tasky or Notepad are then totally usable. Notepad when opened is usable until I tab out and back in, and then does the smae thing. Even now the Start menu is overlain across my firefox page and is not disappeared. ://

The infuriating bit is that this means whatever Flash videos and bandwidth I've used and opened, has to be closed and re-opened, so it's costing me in that area too. The most recent version of Skype seems to be what triggered this - indeed the whole problem only started a while ago once Microsoft had bought Skype, but the update before this one had stopped the problem happening.

I use Windows 7 64-bit, on an Acer Aspire 5750. 4Gb RAM too, though you wouldn't know it by the way Adobe Flash eats that stuff...

I have some form of problem with my laptop which is hard to pinpoint.

I use Firefox and Skype and since yesterday when Skype annoyingly autoupdated itself again I've had a recurrence of a problem that used to bug me something rotten.

When I have Firefox open (which is always the latest version; currently 25), if I attempt to open either Notepad or Task Manager, or even the start bar, the system freezes up. Task Manager's box outline comes up but is white and frozen, and I cannot switch tabs to anything else visibly because it stays on top in vision. But I can still interact with the other 'supposedly' top tab, blind. I end up having to completely quit Firefox, and wait a moment, before the system sorts itself out, and Tasky or Notepad are then totally usable. Notepad when opened is usable until I tab out and back in, and then does the smae thing. Even now the Start menu is overlain across my firefox page and is not disappeared. ://

The infuriating bit is that this means whatever Flash videos and bandwidth I've used and opened, has to be closed and re-opened, so it's costing me in that area too. The most recent version of Skype seems to be what triggered this - indeed the whole problem only started a while ago once Microsoft had bought Skype, but the update before this one had stopped the problem happening.

I use Windows 7 64-bit, on an Acer Aspire 5750. 4Gb RAM too, though you wouldn't know it by the way Adobe Flash eats that stuff...

Most techies know that Adobe flash chews up ram. Many adobe applications do.

As for the Skype issue, perhaps uninstalling skype and looking for the previous version might help?

Back
Top Bottom