School IT department: Teach me what they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys I was wondering my school IT department knows A LOT. And they refuse to teach me saying that they are too busy now I am a Y10 student and I can't go to uni so are there any websites that are FREE that teach you some or all of the stuff that they would know? Such as setting up a remote connection to a PC or that sort of thing :)

You also have to remember that many people who work in IT departments have gone through years of schooling. Not just at the high school level but college as well. So there is a lot of information that you are asking about. Just look at any college website at the IT selection and you will see there are a wide variety of classes available. IT is a broad subject to be covered. So yeah the IT people know a lot. But they are also specialized in specific areas as well.

So while they maybe great at networking, they may not be great in troubleshooting simple Windows errors and instead restore to flashing an image on a troublesome machine instead of trying to fix the error. As it is less work and a simplistic thing for them to do. It takes all of 5 minutes to deploy an image if done properly compared to the hours you can spend trying to trouble shoot the problem. They need to make sure down time is minimal so they do this to minimize the downtime.

Really this is no different than trying to find what your interested in with computers. There is so much that you can do, you have to find what your interested in and go from there. You can code, troubleshoot, network admin and so much more. Trying to be a jack of all trades is not what companies want. You have to find your interest and go from there.

smb's would be one exception to that last note. many of times, smaller companies will want to "do more, with less". sysadmins at these companies usually gripe about being the jack of all trade and wanting to specialize.

smb's would be one exception to that last note. many of times, smaller companies will want to "do more, with less". sysadmins at these companies usually gripe about being the jack of all trade and wanting to specialize.

To an extent. Most of the time when a small business forms, you can be sure that they have a plan in place for some tasks that an IT dept would normally handle. Such as a "Friend" that can help them fix or repair machines at a low cost or even they know how to do it. They go to sites, like this, and get information about how to make and deploy images so that there isnt an issue. Then the aspect of inter office workings they would sublet that out to the ISP they have.

So right there most of the functions a larger company will have for an IT dept is taken care of. So there is little to no need for a full blown IT dept when your starting out. Cause you can easily find ways to keep costs down and still operate. There is always someone who knows someone who can lend a hand. No small business makes it just from the profits they make alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom