Scheduled Maintenance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syn|kal

Baseband Member
Hi all.

I have Windows XP Home setup so that it is scheduled to run McAfee Virus Scan at X hour on X day. Now this works wonderfully and runs on its scheduled time and what not and actually runs and checks my pc for viruses.

My question comes in here: I schedule other days for my PC hard drives (C: , D:, and E: ) to all be defragmented (D: and E: are partitions of my 2nd drive). The problem is the Defrag program (windows default program) pops up but it doesnt analyze or defrag any of my harddrives. I want it to do all 3 hard drives without me having to do anything. Is this possible?

Next question would be spyware utilities. If I want those to run on other nights, they only pop-up and dont actually run. I want them to run so that when I turn my monitor back on, I have the results of any junk on my pc waiting for the click to be deleted.

Anyone know of anything or any way to make my pc accomplish these tasks?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Thank you very much for the reply, but let me make sure that I understand this correctly.
%SystemRoot%\System32\Defrag.exe %HomeDrive%

If it were to be C, that would be C:\System32\Defrag.exe C: ???

Or would it be C:\System32\Defrag.exe C

And, if I wanted it to do all three drives, C, D, and E, I take it I would have to schedule them on different nights as they cant all run at the same time and this line allows for just one hard drive to be scanned and defragged correct?

Thanks again.

As it pertains to your wanting to auto-schedule your anti-spyware programs to run, you'll have to set all that up within the program. Also depending on what anti-spyware software you're using, the option to have it run automatically may not be included if your using a personal free version such as SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware.

If all else fails you could hire a pygmy marmoset to run the programs for you every night. They're easily trained and work for cashews.

Hahahaha...I got a good laugh out of that. Thank you for your help.

I am in fact using free programs such as Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom