Scanning an External Drive for errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys I have an old internal drive which got turned into an external drive due to bad sectors but it is still use able as an external drive. Now I scan this drive because it recommends me to and then it takes 3 secs and it scans 48K+ file records and then slows down to 1 per 10 seconds or more. Now I checked the process the scan is running under and it's explorer.exe is it okay to change the priority of explorer.exe to a higher than normal setting? Help fast would be good.

I would use chkdsk /r on that drive. Open Computer and right click on the drive. There select the tools option. You should see error checking as an option. Run that. Might require a reboot, not sure with external drives on this one. This is the best way to get Windows to flag the bad sectors and prevent the OS from using them extending the life of the drive for you.

I have run an error scan but not for bad sectors just for filesystem errors and due to it being a old internal drive it had a lot of logs to scan. That's why it was taking so long :)

But the system file checker will not help the OS not use the bad sectors. Meaning that continued use of the drive can cause you to lose your data. The reason being is this, the drive has bad sectors, you know this and acknowledge this. But the system doesnt know which ones are bad. So it will continue to use the drive as if nothing is wrong and not flag the bad sectors. This can cause file corruption due to this and possibly cause you to lose some data cause the information was stored on a bad sector.

Running the Check Disk as I suggested will force the system to remove the data from the bad sectors, mark them as bad so that it wont use them anymore. This will ensure that your data is safe and can continue to be accessed with no threat of it becoming corrupted.

I typed this chkdsk /r and then added F: on the end of it for the drive letter and it appears to be doing it's thing?

Also is this going to take a while??

Okay so I did the chdisk /r and it did it's thing and now appears to be all good. Do you want me to post the logs when I get home?

PS Am at school now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom