Says a file is read-only, but it's not

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider7

Solid State Member
I just downloaded the express edition of an Oracle database onto my D:\ drive, the partition where I keep all non-OS files. After downloading the files, I can no longer save changes to any Word files on my D:\ drive -- I get an error saying it is read-only, but when I look at the properties, the read-only box is unchecked. Any ideas?

Ok, bigger problem. I can't save a new file on my D:\ drive either. I get an error saying I don't have permission - my account is the only one on my computer, and therefore is the administrator, with full rights...

What OS. Cause despite your thinking, for Vista and Win7 the account created and used is NOT the Administrator account. If you would check the read first sticky you would see that those 2 OS's create a power user with some admin rights but not full rights. There is a hidden admin account to keep your system protected.

This is telling me that either a. when you moved the database you corrupted the partition for that drive or b. that drive itself is marked as read only.

Ok I read the stickies on admin rights and on taking ownership of files, and I made my account the owner for the drive. So far I can only save over a file, however, if I give full control to "Authenticated Users." Is this a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom