Saving Word documents

That's...one way to do it (not the way I'd do it personally...what if you accidentally click "No"?).

I prefer the File->Save As method (or the 'Orb' in the top-left for Word 2007).

You can also just press the F12 key on your keyboard and that brings up the Save As dialog as well, which would be even faster (1 button press and 1 click or press Enter button, rather than 3 clicks).

That's...one way to do it (not the way I'd do it personally...what if you accidentally click "No"?).

I prefer the File->Save As method (or the 'Orb' in the top-left for Word 2007).

You can also just press the F12 key on your keyboard and that brings up the Save As dialog as well, which would be even faster (1 button press and 1 click or press Enter button, rather than 3 clicks).

Ok....I think I might just uninstall Word and reinstall it again. Probably won't help but maybe it might? .............[FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]๏[/FONT][FONT=&quot]̯͡[/FONT][FONT=&quot]๏[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) [/FONT]

Ok....I think I might just uninstall Word and reinstall it again. Probably won't help but maybe it might? .............[FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]๏[/FONT][FONT=&quot]̯͡[/FONT][FONT=&quot]๏[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) [/FONT]

That would be a waste of time and pretty much fruitless of what your trying to do.
Let me ask this, when you save a file where do you want it to go manually ?
If you want it to go to a desktop, just do like I mentioned.
Also read what carnage says about save as, when you click save it'll be in whatever folder or directory.

Now to go back to the desktop, look at your keyboard, hit the windows button and hit the letter D button.
Windows will put you on the desktop, next you right click, select show desktop icons.
Then you right click, make a new folder, name it favorites if your that fond of the name.
Left click and it will be applied, now look for your document like I showed you.
Highlight it, right click, hit cut, now highlight your folder you made, right click paste.

Now if you do it like this it'll make it simple and you can get on with whatever else you need to do.

Post a screenshot of your Save As window when you're on your Desktop folder please.

What happens when you're on the Desktop directory and you click Save? I'm still not understanding your issue why you say you can't save to the desktop.

I'm running Windows 7. I don't have a “Desktop” folder and there isn't a “Desktop” folder in the “Favourites” one either!!!!!! Any ideas?

So after looking at the screenshot, click on favorites, while favorites is highlighted..
Do you see a small black arrow tab besides favorites ?
If so, click that tab once, and it will expand to show which locations you want to save to, click on desktop and click on save.

Now if you don't see that, you can do this from now on.
Click the office start button, click on word options, click on save tab.
By default word 2007 will have set to documents folder.
C:\Users\RockManX\Documents\
If you want click browse and look on the column tree and choose desktop.
While having that window open, if you want a folder for your files to go into.
Right click, new, folder, left click be sure to give it a name and hit save then ok.

That should do it from that point forward.

So after looking at the screenshot, click on favorites, while favorites is highlighted..
Do you see a small black arrow tab besides favorites ?
If so, click that tab once, and it will expand to show which locations you want to save to, click on desktop and click on save.
OP already stated that the 'Favorites' is expanded with nothing under it.

Thanks for getting back......

Yes the "Favorites" section is expanded and just reads “No items match your search” even though I'm not looking for a folder to put it in. The attachment I posted was what I see as part of the “save” process before any folders are created.

After a bit of thought and reading the advice given here I've mostly solved my problem. Now, if I create the doc from the icon I dragged from the Start Menu I can save the word doc directly to the desktop/background and which isn't in a folder. But, if I create the Word doc from an icon I pinned to the taskbar I can't save it.

Here is a screen grab of what happens using the Taskbar pinned Word doc;

Thanks loads for your help guys. x :D

Attachments

• local disc.png
    local disc.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 3
You just need to navigate to your C:\Users\<yourusernamehere>\Desktop folder and click Save. RIght now you can see that it's under C:\Windows\System32, which is a System folder and won't let you save there.

So just navigate to the Desktop folder and click Save.

If you want to make things easier in the future, you can restore the default Favorites links by following "Option 1" of this guide:
Favorites - Restore Default Favorite Links in Navigation Pane - Windows 7 Help Forums

Back
Top Bottom