Saving Quick Launch Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I like to keep some frequently used links to websites in my quick launch.

I figured out how to get the individual website icons to appear in quick launch but they go back to default after cleaning my cache.

I use Firefox. But use Internet Explorer to save the icons in the quick launch.

Is there a way to maintain these so that I do not have to go through the timely process of opening each link in IE and then dragging them back down to the quick launch bar and replacing the old/dead(no custom icon) icons?, every time I clean my cache etc.?

Thanks

With a mountain of links here I simply add each link to an article or product page to the IE favorites or FireFox bookmarks rather then trying to customize the quick launch that remains invisible. From there you can easily clean out all of the offline content and not worrying about redoing things. The favorites along with the links menu for IE can also be easily backed up to a folder or even on removable media if there is no second hard drive.

I use bookmarks but I have some links (to my website and others) which I use alot and do not want to go into bookmarks for.

It is really convenient to have them in quick launch and to beable to distinguish them there with there individual favicon, but when I clear my cache they go back to the Firefox doc. page which is generic.

Thanks

Clearing your cache will always do this to your quicklaunch shortcuts. Cause they are dependent on your browsers cache to keep them that way. When you clear your cache you clear out the shortcut and in essance kill it.

The only thing you can do is stop clearing your cache. that will be the only way to prevent having to redo the quick launch icons everytime you do. Other than that you will be forced to keep them in your bookmarks. Cause that is what they are. they are not shorcuts to a application. They are bookamrks that you want kept on your desktop.

Only shortcuts to applications can be kept in your quicklaunch and not be affected. Even if you kept the bookamrks on your desktop and cleared your cache this would happen. Because your browser cache is the only thing that keeps those shortcuts alive. Once you clear it they are gone.

Only other option....create a quicklaunch icon for each website...Make that the default website that you want opened when you launch that shortcut. But even then that still wont work correctly cause you would have to make sure that you had multiple copies of Firefox installed to accomplish this.

Easy answer. Bookmark them. What you wish to achieve is to dependent on other applications that it can not be executed properly.

Thanks Mak,

Everything you said I know and is true,

Except,. there is a way to store these links in a safe place so that they do not get deleted with the cache etc.

I have seen something on it before but cannot find it.

There is a way to store them somewhere else and change the location of where the quick launch icon looks for that link.

I will keep searching

I have yet to figure out how to save the original icon file.

However I found a better way a (although tedious)

You simply save the logo of the website you want or any photo you want to represent as an icon.

Then upload it here

and then download the new icon.

and you now have that photo in an icon format.

Then just right click the link in the quick launch bar >>>Properties>>Web Document (tab)>>change icon>>browse to new file>>apply

I like this way better. Now I can use whatever as my icon to identify each site I use alot.

Mostly woirking on my website and editing photos etc. I have links to my site, image shack, sitemeter etc.
Makes formatting and building easy.

Happy trails

The one thing I like about keeping a long list of sites in the IE favorites is always being able to import them into FireFox. You can easily back the favorites and links folder found inside to another location. With FireFox the bookmarks are compressed into an archive for backup that way. You never have to worry about clearing out offline content or even reinstalling Windows at some point and losing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom