Saving Norton Antivirus Update files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenor

In Runtime
HELLO everyone, I hope you can assist me with my PC running on Windows XP Pro. I need to reinstall Windows XP after formatting my hard drive. The question is, how do I save my Norton Antivirus update files first before formatting the hard drive, because I do not wish to download the update files again from the Norton Antivirus site as it is time-consuming even with a broadband line but especially so over a 56Kbps line.

I hope there is some way to save the files which I have already
downloaded and to re-install them after reloading WinXP on the PC.

Thanks in advance.

This is a good question, im gona try to find out. I dont think there will be a bunch of files to copy, I think its just a catalog that updates.

Warez Monster said:
This is a good question, im gona try to find out. I dont think there will be a bunch of files to copy, I think its just a catalog that updates.

Hi Warez Monster, I read somewhere that to save Windows Update files, first of all, you need to save these files when you first download them – after they are installed, you can no longer separate these files and move them to another computer for
later reinstallation.

And the procedure for saving Windows Update files is as follows:

1) For this to work you need to have Automatic Updates enabled. To
make sure, right-click on My Computer and click on Properties and then the Automatic
Updates tab. Be sure that “Keep my computer up to date.” is checked
and either the option to “notify me before downloading any updates ?”
or “download the updates automatically and notify me?” is chosen.

2) Next, open up a Windows Explorer window and then go into Tools\
Folder Options and click on the View tab. Make sure that youÂ’ve
chosen the option to “Show hidden files and folders.”

3) The next time your computer downloads an update and prompts you
to click “OK” to install it, DON’T hit the OK button. Leave it as
is until you perform the next step.

4) Go to C:\WINDOWS and look for a file called “msdownld.tmp”
(without the quotation marks) and you should see the list of
Windows Update files that have been automatically downloaded.

5) Copy these files out and save them somewhere else

So for Norton Antivirus Update files, could the procedure be the same and that they are in a similarly named files like ay "NAVdownld.tmp" or something like that?
Thx in advance

Warez Monster said:
are those the files on your pc?

Nope! Both msdownld.tmp and navdownld.tmp (if there is one) files were not found in C:\WINDOWS. May be as I mentioned in my previous posting, "you need to save these files when you first download them – after they are installed, you can no longer separate these files and move them to another computer for
later reinstallation. "
They probably just got deleted by the system after being installed. Possible?

im downloading the updates right now, Ive got two of symantecs folders open and Im going to see what changes. Ill let you know shortly

OK:
Virscan.dat files are the files that update

The only file I saw that changed was savrt.dat and it's located in C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus

No other files were changed that I saw.

Does this help?

Warez Monster said:
OK:
Virscan.dat files are the files that update

The only file I saw that changed was savrt.dat and it's located in C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus

No other files were changed that I saw.

Does this help?

First of all, thx for such a prompt reply.

I've just checked my C:\Program Files\Symantec, there is no Virscan.dat files that you mentioned, neither is there savrt.dat file. But I found 3 folders within the Symantec folder namely LiveUpdate, Norton PartitionMagic (as I've installed this software) and Web Tools. Within the LiveUpdate folder, there are 30 files but just doesn't contain the two files you mentioned.

Anyway, are those two files the update files I'm supposed to save after downloading but before I install them?

Thx for answering

I'm using Norton SystemWorks Professional 2004.
The Norton Antivirus is part of the suite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom