Saving data from 2.5" -> 3.5" HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splash_Man

Beta member
Heya,
Very sadly my laptop has decided to die I have called the warrenty people and they will take it back and fix/replace which is great.

However I have an enormous amount of work and irreplaceable files i have bought an IDE cable that allows me to plug my laptops 2.5" HDD into my Desktop machine. Ive hooked it all up and i can access the drive

However my main user account that was on my laptop was password protected, and if i try to access that users documents and settings i get an access denied message, i have tried through CMD but i had no luck

I really need to save this data and I'm hugely grateful for any help you can give me

Splash

If you can get the laptop working, I can send you a password reset disk and then you can access the files

Download Knoppix (Linux)

Its a live CD that can read NTFS and FAT32 so you can access all of your files hopefully
It comes with burning software also

Its none of that its just an ownership issue. On your desktop PC go to the CONTROL PANEL>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW> scroll down to the bottom and uncheck USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING (reccomened).

Then go to the laptop hard drive via My Computer and right click on the user folder that is the problem and select PROPERTIES. Go to the SECURITY tab then ADVANCED towards the bottom of that screen. Go to the OWNERSHIP tab of the advanced security screen. Select a new owner from this list of course from that machine and check the REPLACE OWNER ON SUBCONTAINERS AND OBJECTS. Hit APPLY and OK at the bottom and this shoudl allow you to now access the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom