Save Microsoft Updates Locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunjo

Daemon Poster
Is there a way to download and save all of the Microsoft update packages (Windows XP, IE7, Office 2003/2007) onto an HDD or DVD so they can be validated and installed locally without redownloading them? All of the updates I have to deal with are a huge drain of bandwidth and time. If I could save all of the time waiting on these updates and service packs to download... let's just say I could get a lot more done.

A couple comments on this.
When you do updates they are stored locally on your computer under c:\windows\softwaredistribution\Download
They are the cab files of the install, so you'll need to work a bit with them to get them to install.

If you're looking at doing this to a domain of computers, look linto using Microsoft's WSUS. It caches downloads from the internet on a local server. You then (via gpo) direct all client computers to get their updates from your WSUS server instead of the internet.

hmm, they're all on a LAN, so theoretically, yeah, could do something like that... would havwe to find a machine to use as a dedicated server, though.

I thought of one other thing as well.

When you're selecting which updates to install, if you look at the details, there should be a KB article # in there. You can then go to the download center (in patonb's post) and look up the article. They should have a download of the update there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom