sata drive on a reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

realmike15

Baseband Member
if i could get a quick response about this, that'd be awesome.

i want to reformat my computer tonight, it's getting a little boggled down, so this is my quick fix. my question is, i have a abit ic7-g mobo that requires drivers to run the onboard SATA controller. the only disc drive i have in my computer is an SATA DVD Burner. since windows xp disc is a cd, am i going to have an issue once the drive is reformatted, because wouldn't those drivers be lost? will i be able to access my drive?

do you have the drivers for the sata drive? Most of the time, Windows will find the correct drivers for the sata drives, how did you install it in the first place?

You motherboard was suppose to come with a floppy disk that contains the driver for your chipset for SATA support. If the Windows CD doesn't recognize your drive you will need to press F6 to load this driver. If you get lucky and Windows recognize the driver you can continue the deletion and formating of the HD.

I have the intel chipset SATA driver from my abit motherboard. Came off of the floppy disc, it's on my Harddrive as a winrar file for backup reason. If you need it I can share it with you.

found the floppy, thanks for the offer. to answer the first question, i installed the SATA drivers via the CD in windows.

i'm still having an issue though.

my dvd-rw is on the second SATA controller (the silicon one), and when i hit f6 and installed the drivers in dos, it's still not showing up when i boot up. just my two HDs are listed. (note it never showed up during boot up, but always worked in windows properly so i never worried about it.) how do i get it to recognize my dvd-rw at boot up?

also the first time i tried to install windows, i accidentally had it copy the install files to the C drive, and now it wont let me delete that partition, it tells me "you cannot delete that partition it has setup files on it", also it takes me to windows install setup everytime i restart.
so my question is, how do i make it stop trying to run windows installation everytime i boot up? i'm thinking that will make it stop telling me i cannot delete the partition that has setup files on it, by copy the install files to the backup D drive instead, or if i can just make it run the installation files from the disc that would work too.

sorry if thats confusing, i know it's long. thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom