safety of Wi-Fi and en encryption of data transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naash

Baseband Member
For most part I heard that Wi-Fi are safe if used correct set up like password protected log in to the networks but still it is possible hacker can get in.

I am thinking of getting clear wire or sprint data service so that I can have only one internet service to save some costs. Are there any software/services, which will encrypt your data/internet browsing from your computer to the server so that it can't be viewed anybody else?

Yes it's always possable to break an wireless key but it's unlikely as most war drivers target open AP's there are lots of them. It's not as common as the media would like you to belive it happens but not often.

I can't tell from your post, but is your concern about your home network or free public hotspots?

Switching to wireless broadband is a pretty big change and expense for the average user.

Right now I am using wired network at home but I am thinking about switching to wireless network as more and more products like apple TV and home theater networking is geared towards wireless network.

For the time being right now my concern is about using free public Wi-Fi networks. In the home networks I have heard that wireless routers have encryption plus firewall ability which I don't know how safe they are?

They are secure as long as you get a router that can use the most recent WPA2 or whatever it is called. As of right now that is the hardest to hack thru. But WEP and WPA have been hacked. It isnt that easy to hack them you have to know what you are doing to get thru them.

But at the same time even a wired network isnt that safe. There are things that can be done with those as well.

If you're looking to connect multiple devices to the Internet, there's no benefit in switching to wireless broadband. You'd still have to somehow share that connection over a network, and your options for configurations would be limited.

Wireless home networks are not secured by default. That's something the person setting it up has to enable and configure on the router and all computers / devices.

There's a legitimate reason to be concerned when using hotspots. The easiest defense is a good firewall with no file sharing enabled and no "safe zones" set up. I've read some articles recently about various VPN (virtual private network) applications that may be available to the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom