safe mode - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default safe mode

im having a little trouble that needs a lot of help on this side anyways. i need to start up in safe mode and when i start up i wait for the beep and then press f8 repeatedly until i get the blue menu. its a boot menu but nothing says safe mode i press hard drive and it starts up regularly..im not good with computers but i phoned to get work done on my comp but it will take 7 days trying to do it faster lol.is there something im doing wrong .. any help would be greatly appreciated thx

Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: safe mode

Hello,

What are your system specifications?

Make sure that you're hitting F8 just before the Windows OS splash screen (loading screen).

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

im running xp media... im hitting f8 i get a screen that comes up but nothing that says start in safe mode
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

As soon as you hit the power button start hitting F8, you should either get the option for safe mode or a keyboard error. And it should be a black screen with white letters.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Boot into windows if you can, click start, run, and type regedit in the box and hit enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, system, current control set, and click select. You should have entries for current,default, last known good, and failed.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok dave i tried the f8at start up and same thing blue screen its called a boot menu. then i got to the other one u sent me not sure what to do when i got there nothing on the page said safe mode
Old 08-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

(Are you using a keyboard that plugs into a usb port, try one that plugs into the older style port; often overlooked; only if you have no keybaord function on startup); a blue screan with options sounds right, choose the operating system your using(windows xp), wait a bit, a screan will pop up mentioning safe mode, hit yes, wait a minute.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Not A Super Techie

Start
-Run: type "msconfig"
go to the BOOT.INI tab
Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thx i went to the run box and clicked (check all boot pathes)it says all boot ini lines are ok. wasnt sure if i should do anything else
Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thx the typing in that box worked..butttt lol, i ran a scan on my files shut that program down and then when i went to open smitfraudfix a red screen came up and it said i was missing my reboot.exe is this why i couldnt reboot in safe mode and can i add that file to my computer... thx

Closed Thread