Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Microsoft Windows and Software (http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   safe mode (http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/safe-mode-150173/)

toppergun 08-03-2007 10:32 AM

safe mode

im having a little trouble that needs a lot of help on this side anyways. i need to start up in safe mode and when i start up i wait for the beep and then press f8 repeatedly until i get the blue menu. its a boot menu but nothing says safe mode i press hard drive and it starts up regularly..im not good with computers but i phoned to get work done on my comp but it will take 7 days trying to do it faster lol.is there something im doing wrong .. any help would be greatly appreciated thx:confused:

Alvin.C 08-03-2007 11:14 AM

Re: safe mode

Hello,

What are your system specifications?

Make sure that you're hitting F8 just before the Windows OS splash screen (loading screen).

toppergun 08-03-2007 11:59 AM

im running xp media... im hitting f8 i get a screen that comes up but nothing that says start in safe mode

superdave1984 08-03-2007 12:10 PM

As soon as you hit the power button start hitting F8, you should either get the option for safe mode or a keyboard error. And it should be a black screen with white letters.

superdave1984 08-03-2007 12:20 PM

Boot into windows if you can, click start, run, and type regedit in the box and hit enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, system, current control set, and click select. You should have entries for current,default, last known good, and failed.

toppergun 08-03-2007 03:28 PM

ok dave i tried the f8at start up and same thing blue screen its called a boot menu. then i got to the other one u sent me not sure what to do when i got there nothing on the page said safe mode

yosa 08-04-2007 07:04 AM

(Are you using a keyboard that plugs into a usb port, try one that plugs into the older style port; often overlooked; only if you have no keybaord function on startup); a blue screan with options sounds right, choose the operating system your using(windows xp), wait a bit, a screan will pop up mentioning safe mode, hit yes, wait a minute.

straightv6 08-04-2007 11:18 AM

Start
-Run: type "msconfig"
go to the BOOT.INI tab

toppergun 08-04-2007 01:37 PM

thx i went to the run box and clicked (check all boot pathes)it says all boot ini lines are ok. wasnt sure if i should do anything else

toppergun 08-23-2007 08:57 PM

thx the typing in that box worked..butttt lol, i ran a scan on my files shut that program down and then when i went to open smitfraudfix a red screen came up and it said i was missing my reboot.exe is this why i couldnt reboot in safe mode and can i add that file to my computer... thx