running XP 32 and XP x64 with virtualisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
I've got XP x64 edition installed as my main OS, but I want to be able to simultaneously run XP 32

The reasons are:

occasionally, some programs won't run on XP x64 (though the vast majority will). Mostly, these are older games from the Windows 98 era.

My USB wireless card does not have drivers for XP x64 (it has an Atheros AR5523 chip)

Anyway, I tried using Microsoft Virtual PC, and I also tried using VMware (using XP x64 as host OS). But so far, I haven't got it working the way I'd like.
I haven't got either program to utilize my USB wireless card, or all six of my hard drives. And, it won't share CPU time between both OS's. It'll just reserve one core for virtualisation.

I've got 4GB RAM, an X2 6000+ at 3450MHZ, 2 x 3870's in crossfire, and 6 hard drives (4x750GB, 1x320GB, 1x74GB Raptor).
I may upgrade to 8GB RAM if I can get Virtualisation working properly.

if you run xp64 on a vm within xp 32, you will never get the speed benefit. VM are simulators. why don't you run a dual boot? that's what I do

Barb's Connected World - 64 Bit Atheros (Dlink, Netgear, etc.) Wireless Drivers

You're missing the point, and you got it backwards anyway. He's running XP32 inside XP 64.

That's what I do too, but in order to utilize it the way he's talking about requires the expensive, pay-for VMware products. Otherwise there's no fractional CPUs.

Of course, dunno why he's having trouble with USB and/or HD detection. I run the same setup to TS into work, and it detects all my USB devices and disk drives just fine.

first thing gaylord focker.

an ide or sata drive is not as reliable as a seagate scsi drive that was built for raid in a raid setup. you talking won't make that a fact

second, I ask Apokalipse the question. I did read it wrong. either way it was none of your business. I wanted to know why didn't he just go dual boot anyway, because simulators don't move as fast as the real thing

<Snipped>

Apokalipse, the bottom line is that to share CPU time through virtualization requires expensive software. That's how VMWare makes their money - they offer very basic virtualization for free, but make you pay for anything above and beyond that. Regarding the hard drives, you can work it to get a VM image to see any external drive, but to see more, again requires one of their products that isn't free. I think VMWare Workstation starts at $199, if you're seriously interested.

I personally find it easier just to dedicate one of my drives (or a good chunk of it) to having a VMWare image, and copying everything I need into it. I have about 60 gigs for my VMWare OS, vmem and work programs, and let my VMWare access an external 500 GB USB drive if I need it to get at any of my files. Works great, and the USB drive was only ~$110 at Newegg, which was less than the VMWare license would be to actually let a VM image have access to my hard disks.

Hope that helps - you can find a lot of useful information on using VMWare at their forums (http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa), <Snipped>

See, and this is why I don't waste a lot of time around here. You got too many guys like Eric who think they have a clue, but have 500 worthless posts for every right answer they stumble into, wasting everyone's time by polluting threads with every brain fart they have.

Eric, your opinion is a lot like your arse. We all know you have one, but that doesn't mean anyone wants to see it.

Apokalipse, the bottom line is that to share CPU time through virtualization requires expensive software. That's how VMWare makes their money - they offer very basic virtualization for free, but make you pay for anything above and beyond that. Regarding the hard drives, you can work it to get a VM image to see any external drive, but to see more, again requires one of their products that isn't free. I think VMWare Workstation starts at $199, if you're seriously interested.

I personally find it easier just to dedicate one of my drives (or a good chunk of it) to having a VMWare image, and copying everything I need into it. I have about 60 gigs for my VMWare OS, vmem and work programs, and let my VMWare access an external 500 GB USB drive if I need it to get at any of my files. Works great, and the USB drive was only ~$110 at Newegg, which was less than the VMWare license would be to actually let a VM image have access to my hard disks.

Hope that helps - you can find a lot of useful information on using VMWare at their forums (http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa), and as an added bonus, you won't have to endure EricB's mental masturbation in your threads over there.

<Snipped>

Apokalipse I never had to pay to add other drives. i just went to their setting and select add a hard drive. I have about 3 to 4 drives that I add. I used vm server.

CitizenCain you have a beef. pm me. we can resolve this

CitizenCain you have a beef. pm me. we can resolve this

I really don't.

You were wrong. I called you out.

You took it personally, and attacked me. I attacked you back.

You mistook me for a newbie because of my post count. I pointed out why I don't post here often.

Pretty basic cause and effect, and I don't take it personally. Not that it matters to you anyway, because in a few days, my new RAID hardware controller will arrive and I'll slip back into lurking anyway.

Thread cleaned. Apok i agree with Eric. Running a Virtual Machine will gain you nothing. But dual booting will allow you to take full advantage of XP 32Bit.

Any reason why you do not dual boot?

if you run xp64 on a vm within xp 32, you will never get the speed benefit. VM are simulators. why don't you run a dual boot? that's what I do
I'm already running a dual boot. It's just inconvenient having to reboot if I want to switch OS's.
I would like to be able to use x64 as my main OS, and be able to use programs that can't normally run in x64 (even with compatibility mode), and be able to use my USB wireless card (for which there aren't any drivers for XP x64)
I'm also thinking I could use XP 32 as a separate environment for my university work.

Also, don't AMD have hardware support for virtualisation?
Even so, I don't really need XP 32 to run as fast as just booting to it regularly. I use it to access the internet (via my USB wireless card), and sometimes to run older applications that won't run on XP x64 (the programs/games I use that don't work on x64, are ones my PC can run ridiculously fast anyway)

I know there are some 64-bit Atheros drivers, but not for the AR5523 chip.
I've even tried to modify the 32-bit drivers to run on XP x64, but haven't been successful.

Anyway, all my hard drives are SATA, and not in a RAID. using VMware, I could only mount them as IDE drives, and there were only two virtual IDE channels. (for a total of 4 drives, not 6. Or 7, if I include my DVD burner.)

do you have the extensions\additions installed for vpc?
also you would pic aux drives to share from your main pc and your vpc via the shared folders thing
you could just share folders or a whole drive

have you installed a Microsoft Loopback Adapter in the host machine and configure ICS to share your Internet connection to the vm? This might allow you to use the wireless card in 64...but not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom