running a screensaver from Dropbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozy Van

Beta member
In my computer Soc I am trying to get a screensaver slideshow to deploy from dropbox portable to all PC's and run from all User profiles when PC's are left idle.

How would I accomplish this?

and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

From dropbox i assume you mean a folder which scanned imaged are copied to. What version of windows are you using? in windows 7, righclick on desktop, click personalise. Click screen saver and choose photos from the drop down list. Click settings then browse and select the folder which contains your pictures.

In windows XP:
Start Menu/Control Panel/Display
Find the Screensaver tab, and choose "My Picture Slideshow."
By default, this points to your My Pictures folder, but you can point it anywhere you want.
If you have windows vista... Get rid of it :)

Thanks for replying

We are currently running windows 7 over 10 PC's.

what dropbox is:

I'll see if I can folder sink the wallpapers so that it works across all PC's, but i'm 90% sure the guy I have working with me has tried that.

EDIT: from what your showing me is to get it working on each individual PC and profile. We don't wana have to logg into 120 profiles 10 times to get this to display. trying to have this happen so we only have to do it on 1 PC then spread it to all of them.

Well if for some reason, you cannot use the dropbox folder, Use windows scheduler to run a batch file every so often that will copy all of the documents you want to use from the drop box to a public shared folder.
Remember to use pipes and switches to only copy files which dont already exist tho or you will be un-neededly using up network bandwidth overwriting everything. I have something similar running here, so just let me know if u need a copy of the script for reference

Using Active Directory?
There will be a Global Policy where you can change the Screensaver for every user on the network from next logon
There is also the option of creating a reg file and mailing it to each user to run on each PC.

here is a link with instructions on applying a screensaver using group policys:
http://phongdam.supersized.org/archives/3-Setup-Screen-Saver-with-GPO..html

Hope this helps!

Were using Windows server 2008. The Policy does not seem to be propagating to all of the PC's on the Domain. I can set it to work manually for one user but the policy does not configure all the users. How can I test if its getting through ?

We need the screensaver to use the images from the dropbox folder. That way we can create a new image/poster and upload it online without having to be near the PC's

When you say " The Policy does not seem to be propagating to all of the PC's on the Domain" I assume it is working on 'some' of the PC's? in which case, are the other users actually logging onto the domain accounts and not a local account? And under which section have you set the group policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom