Running out of time. Really bad problem with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandonD

Beta member
Hi all. I hope you're doing well.

We ran into a really bad problem last night. A buddy and I run karaoke and use to different programs for it (Hoster and Musicmatch). We have never had any problems until last night.

First I'll tell you the specs of the computer: 3.0 GHz processor, 3 GB ram, 500 GB hard drive (partitioned, which is where our problem seems to be coming from... I'll explain below), and we're running Windows XP.

Here is the issue. We have our music separated, so to speak, on two areas of the hard drive (C and E). When we access our music off of C (which is where all of the karaoke songs are as well as some of the music) it runs fine. However, if we attempt to grab any songs off of E: the computer absolutely locks up and there is no way (at least that I know of, even ctrl-alt-del will not work) to unlock it. Instead, we have to do a hard shut down and only access C: if we want to essentially run our programs. Anything, and I mean anything, attempted to be accessed off of E: causes an instant freeze.

I have no idea why this is happening, as it's never occurred before. We've never encountered problems, and have not altered any of the files on either sections of the drives. It just truly happened out of nowhere.

Is there anything I can do? Any tests (or suggestions for software) that I can run?

We're running a show again tonight, and I have to find some type of fix as quickly as possible!

Your help would be appreciated more than you know!!!

There is not going to be a quick fix. As this is either a issue with the drive itself, or the partition. Either way there is no quick fix.

First is to run chkdsk /r /f on the partition. See if that does anything. Next is to run sfc /scannow on the partition. See if that helps.

If neither of them do anything, then you are going to have to format the drive and use Recovery software like Recuva to get the data back.

If that still doesnt work, you are going to have to backup the data ASAP and get a new hard drive.

This happened to me this past week, quick format on the drive didnt work, but the format thats takes HOURS to run did, took about 5 hours on a 500GB MyBook.

Yes just like i have been saying a lot recently. Quick formats suck. The Full Formats are the best. As they also do chkdsk while they format and mark the bad sectors so they are never used again. Yes they take time, but they are worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom