RUNDLL Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobbers

Beta member
I just recently had to repair windows cause my son turned my computer on and off several times in a row. I was getting a blue screen error when windows loaded. Anyways the windows repair worked and my computer is fine now, expect for a few things.

I get an error half way through updating the windows 3 service pack and it can't install it.

I also get the "rundell32.exe - Entry Point Not Found" and "RUNDLL Error loading dfshim.dll" everytime I boot windows up.

Please let me know what I can do to fix it.

I don't know the answer to the rundll error, but have you considered using System Restore to simply reset your computer back to a point before your son got to it?

If you're unfamiliar with System Restore, it can be accessed (in Windows XP) via Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ System Restore. I've read (in one of my own threads) that it can also be run using the Wndows XP CD and may run better that way.

Do you have all updates up to Service Pack 3? The DLL error you are getting is due to the .NET Framework needing to be reinstalled.

Like I said in my first post when I try to install the 3rd service pack of windows update it gives and error half way through it and can't install it. I have tried to install that windows update several times now but it keeps doing the same thing.

I didnt ask if you are trying to install SP3. I asked if you had all updated up to SP3. There was roughly 150-200 updates between SP2 and SP3. Some of which could be affecting your update, some of which could be the cause of the problems you are coming across.

There have been known issues with certain updates released close to SP3 that have caused the SP3 install failure.

Just to backup what Mak213 said about certain updates. May not be the exact error you got but worth a try checking.

Source:Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
2is7fv4.png

Edit: You can also try if either of these links help. Still searching your problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330159
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832323

I have installed several updates, but all I know is when I go to microsoft website to scan for updates it only trys to install SP3 and it fails. I tried those other steps above but there is nothing to remove by those names listed. Also now I am just trying to do a reformat because I am sick of it but I can't get my computer to read blank CD's to copy my files to. My CD drives wont read now. Sigh

So is it actually trying to install, or is it still downloading and then erroring out? When it downloads do you click Yes to install the update?

Does the event viewer show any errors?

Have you tried the option to install other updates and not SP3? I know XP has this option. I have seen it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom