Run Win XP on a xenon powered server - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Run Win XP on a xenon powered server

What would that be like?

Old 11-03-2004, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Run Win XP on a xenon powered server

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan 11
What would that be like?
Retarted

Old 11-03-2004, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

is it possible
Old 11-04-2004, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Well....let's start with some basic questions that should've been asked....

Will it be a single processor or dual?

how many workstations are you considering?

It depends on what you were using that server for.
It wasn't supported by Microsoft in July under a certain type of Xeon processor but, with XT's response, it really sounds like XT has done this before and he probably has the experience you are looking for with running a Xeon processor for Windows XP Pro. So, maybe we should wait for him to respond. What have you found to be a problem with the Xeon Processor and Windows XP, XT?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

xenon is a type of gas,

http://www.webelements.com/webelemen...xt/Xe/key.html

"Xenon is a "noble" or "inert" gas present in the atmosphere to a small extent. Xenon is present in the Martian atmosphere to the extent of about 0.08 ppm. Before 1962, it was generally assumed that xenon and other noble gases were unable to form compounds. Among the compounds of xenon now reported are xenon hydrate, sodium perxenate, xenon deuterate, difluoride, tetrafluoride, hexafluoride, and XePtF6 and XeRhF6. The highly explosive xenon trioxide, XeO3, is known.

Metallic xenon is produced by applying several hundred kilobars of pressure. Xenon in a vacuum tube produces a blue glow when excited by an electrical discharge and finds use in strobe lamps. It is an odourless, colourless, inert gas.
Isolation"

xeon is a intel processor
Old 11-04-2004, 03:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Ok......Is there going to be an intelligent post here???

I wish people would quit trying to play the spelling bee moderator here........can you please answer the question?

Oh, by the way, according to the "English Language" "colourless" is actually spelled "colorless" and "Odourless" is spelled "odorless"....but that is just us......what do we know.....

BTW.....this is a legitamit question.....if you don't know.....then don't bother commenting........
Old 11-04-2004, 04:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

sorry bout the post but i couldnt resist
Old 11-04-2004, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesgroovin
Well....let's start with some basic questions that should've been asked....

Will it be a single processor or dual?
For a server it is not logicle to have xp pro as its main os. Xp pro is not a server os but great for a home or work computer. No matter what kind of processor its running.(xp can conflict with dual cpus at times rendering the server useles for any given amount of time)

Xp pro

Easy to hack-
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...-hole.htm#more
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/pt...idg/index.html
http://search.cnn.com/pages/search/b...xt=windows+xp&

Threw my own experience i have found that windows xp is not that good for dual processors(has failed on me before) but never on 2 xeons im simply not that rich. But based on the fact it failed on a older double processing rig leads me to believe it would on a xeon rig. Maybe not though

Quote:

It depends on what you were using that server for.
It wasn't supported by Microsoft in July under a certain type of Xeon processor but, with XT's response, it really sounds like XT has done this before and he probably has the experience you are looking for with running a Xeon processor for Windows XP Pro. So, maybe we should wait for him to respond. What have you found to be a problem with the Xeon Processor and Windows XP, XT?
I have used xp pro on a single xeon powered rig never on a double xeon powered one. But based on previous experience i would not consider doing it. Hell my xp procrashes on my home computer almost every week, so i would definately say no to putting xp on a double xeon powered rig, espeially one that will be used as a server. Although i would like to try it!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The server i have had a double xeon CPU
what about running Win server 2003?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
XT
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan 11
The server i have had a double xeon CPU
what about running Win server 2003?
There are specific problems with win server 2003, but never the less a decent windows server os. I would go unix or linux for best protection though!

Closed Thread