Run Recovery Console w/o XP disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hygraed

Baseband Member
I have a Toshiba laptop, and rather than include a real Windows XP disc with the system, they gave me a System Restore DVD, which will automatically reformat my HD and revert my PC to how it came out of the factory.

Unfortunately, the Recovery Console is not accessible from the recovery DVD, and I can't get a real XP disc from Toshiba or Microsoft. I can't use a boot floppy because, being a newer laptop, it doesn't include a floppy drive.

So, what I'm looking for is a legal way to boot the Recovery Console from a CD. I recently had to fix my MBR, and since I can't use the recovery console with my disc I had to gank my neighbor's XP disc and use that. I'd like to be able to burn my own CD and boot the Recovery Console from that, but I don't know how to do that short of pirating XP, which I don't really want to do except as a last resort.

I know of a way, but I can't find my compisition note book right now, which is where the instructions are. If no one has replied with the answer by time I find it, I will give you the information on how to go about doing this. Sorry I can't help you now. By the way, what exactly are you needing to use the Recovery Console for?

You are saying you still have this XP CD in your posession right? No need to pirate it just install the recovery console from the XP CD. Just remember though your computer will no longer boot instantly with the recovery console installed it will present you with a boot screen much like when you are dual booting asking if you want to boot into XP or the XP recovery console..no biggy after 25 sec it will boot xp by default if no action is taken.

You can install it with the winnt32 command if you are familiar...if not just toss the XP CD in the drive, go to START>RUN, type in d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

(d:\ is the drive letter of your cd-rom drive whichever that may be)

This will prompt the setup and install from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom