Run DOS based program on W2KPro - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Run DOS based program on W2KPro

I have a program called File Express that I used as an inventory database at a couple of my previous jobs. I do not have the original media that the program was on, but do have a copy (not pirated,just backup disk I made JIC). It is a DOS based program. I have set this up on a W2K Pro machine before but has been so long ago that I do not remember how I did it. Can anyone help with this?
I can set up the database just like I need it, but when I try to enter records and save - nothing. It should save and move forward to next screen for entry. If I exit the program and restart, I cannot pull up the records just entered- goes to the windows directory where program is stored but doesn't open.
Thanks.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

What is the filesystem you're using ?

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton running at 2.16 Ghz.
GeForce MX 4000 (mainly takes the load off the main system)
Creative Labs Audigy 24-bit sound.
Some Case from tigerdirect
512 MB Ultra DDR RAM.
80GB Seagate HDD
LiteOn CD-RW / DVD ROM drive.
currently looking at a litescribe drive at staples, due to its ability to label the CD shortly after being burned.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

how could i find that out for you - i had nothing to do with system build or install
Old 10-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

duh - sorry blonde moment - file system is NTFS
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

BTW - LUV the avatar - gotta learn to do that myself
Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

do you have the needed access rights to create/update information in the directory it uses?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am the administrator account - so I believe I have the access rights. The program came in a .zip file, and I know longer have the original file, could that be part of the problem - all I have is the unzipped version?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I thought that you couldn't run dos based programs on the nt file system. is that right or wrong?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

EricB - you can't use dos to access the file system. There is a Dos emulation that runs on the OS which allows you to run the programs. If you boot to dos, then you can't see the FS. if you run a dos based program from the OS, you should be able to do the same as if it were a dos boot.

File Express is a flat file database program. The only way that it would have a problem is if it can't find the information, ie where it's housed. I was ablt to download a copy from a site, and it seems that the installer doesn't work very well. Which is known to happen with old installer routines. I'm looking at it now and will let you know if I can find anymore out for you.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I dont know if this has been stated yet because i dont wanan read through everything but. Correct me if im wrong but cant u run dos based programs through the command shell
so goto start > run > then use cd to find the dir that the fileyouwanttorun.exe is located then jsut type in the full name oif the file u wanna run

Closed Thread