run "Comand"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashoon

Baseband Member
Hey.
Here is my problem. When I try to run "command" I get this massege. Can anyone help me to fix it please?
Thanks...

Thats because you are trying to run a 16 bit program in a 32 bit environment. Use CMD, like byoung said, it is the same thing.

You do realize that DOS dosent exist in XP, right? It is now a program that Windows runs, rather than an operating system that runs a program (Windows).

Him said:
Thats because you are trying to run a 16 bit program in a 32 bit environment. Use CMD, like byoung said, it is the same thing.

You do realize that DOS dosent exist in XP, right? It is now a program that Windows runs, rather than an operating system that runs a program (Windows).

Excuse me? DOS does exist in Windows XP.

-SkyHi

Ok, what happened is that your autoexec.nt got corrupted.

What you need to do is find your i386 directory. It will either be in C:\i386, C:\windows\i386 or you will have to get it off your windows install cd.

Once you do, open up a cmd prompt (start -> run -> cmd).

Then type this.

expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Replace c:\i386 above with wherever your i386 folder is located.

You might get a similar problem right after you do this saying either command.com is not compatable. If you do type the same thing, but replace autoexec.nt_ with command.co_ and expand it to c:\windows\system32\command.com

The windows support page for this can be found here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305521

Thats odd I can use both "cmd" and "command". Yes as mentioned it is an emulator not true DOS like back in 48.

macdude425 said:
No, not really.

What he meant was that it is no longer a front for Windows. Really all the command prompt is is a DOS emulator.

Thats exactly what I meant. If you didnt read my post correctly, it said that DOS is now a program within windows, not the other way around.

Bla, that is a damn technical response to the question at hand. I'm not gonna tell you it's wrong, most likely it's right if you went through all that trouble.

Thats odd I can use both "cmd" and "command". Yes as mentioned it is an emulator not true DOS like back in 48

When you type 'command' it opens command.com and not CMD. CMD and Command.com two diffrerent programs.

I've had that problem happen to several pc's at my office. I'm not exactly sure what causes the files to corrupt, but that's definatelly how it's fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom