.RTF Houdini Stunt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leto

Beta member
Let me briefly explain my situation: I have been continuously working with an .RTF file in standard Microsoft WordPad for over a year now, blah, blah, blah, the file isn't THAT large, 3.4 MB. A few months ago, it mysteriously ate a chunk of itself (the end chunk), turning all characters after a certain point into your general nulls and spaces and whatnot. I fretted, went searching for a Wordpad replacement, found a handy program and managed to resurrect the text, even though I lost formatting, et cetera.

Well, I had some problems the other day. One of my device drivers for a wireless card (I'm running Windows XP Home on a fairly new Dell 600m laptop (purchased last December), since then it has crashed once because of a virus and been entirely reformatted, that happened, oh, early May. 28GB hardrive, 19GB free; 256MB of RAM, I'm guarding it with Norton Anti-Virus, Spybot SD, ZoneAlarms and HijackThis so viruses or spyware are out of the question, internet access is achieved through a Netgear card. It frets on infrequent basis, but when it does it's usually worth a blue screen and a reboot) killed the laptop a few times and upon rebooting and opening up the file (which had not been open at the time of the problems with the driver), found that I am three months set back. This is VERY disturbing.

Imagine the file as what you will to help you understand the gravity of it. It might as well be a novel in progress, but to anyone out there who wants incentive it could just as easily be any number of other things. ..It's just really, really important.

The characters are still there in some form or another, as I've discovered, but I need them to be back in good old regular Roman alphabet form. I would use the program that I used in the past, but I can't find it now ((for anyone who might have it/have had it out there; as I recall, it's got these lovely, if somewhat ugly, trapezoidal tabs on the top, the editing area for the text itself is a pale grey, text is auto in a standard typeface, there is some snazzy color coding in maroon and navy, et cetera, et cetera. I bothered about a mock up screenshot from what I can recall, as this was a few months ago, and ended up with this: http://img1.uploadimages.net/963789proggie.JPG)) and I am damn near hysterical at having been pushed back this far for the file.

I would be HORRIFICALLY indebted to anyone who could shed some light on this situation, negatively or positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom