Routers,Firewalls,Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

babaton

Solid State Member
Hi,

Does anyone know of a decent source for info on routers,firewalls and switches?

I know roughly what they do but i need to know more!!

I guess I need some to play with ,so in that case does anyone have any suggestions for good software versions.

I don't presently have the funds for hardware.

Cheers ears.

Routers: route packets by there ip address (layer 3) to learn more about this use http://www.google.com and put in somtihng like "cisco tutorials" or random keywords like "ios" or "CCNA" this will give more imnformation than your going to want.

Switches: foward packets based on there MAC address (within a network, or LAN) faster than HUBS.. switches are usually plug-in and your done kinda thing.. but cisco puts out switches that can be configured for VLAN's .. once again, use google to learn more about it..

Firewalls: "obtain" software such as Checkpoint to see what the big boys use.. as for a hardware version of a firewall, google "sonic wall" or "sonic firewall"

NOTE: these are all on a "enterprise" level... not like a lnsys or netgear. you can also set your computer up as a router.. google "ICS" or "NAT in windows 2000 server" if interested.. this would require 2 interfaces though (nics)...

babaton said:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a decent source for info on routers,firewalls and switches?

I know roughly what they do but i need to know more!!

I guess I need some to play with ,so in that case does anyone have any suggestions for good software versions.

I don't presently have the funds for hardware.

Cheers ears.

Routers: route packets by there ip address (layer 3) to learn more about this use http://www.google.com and put in somtihng like "cisco tutorials" or random keywords like "ios" or "CCNA" this will give more imnformation than your going to want.

Switches: foward packets based on there MAC address (within a network, or LAN) faster than HUBS.. switches are usually plug-in and your done kinda thing.. but cisco puts out switches that can be configured for VLAN's .. once again, use google to learn more about it..

Firewalls: "obtain" software such as Checkpoint to see what the big boys use.. as for a hardware version of a firewall, google "sonic wall" or "sonic firewall"

NOTE: these are all on a "enterprise" level... not like a lnsys or netgear. you can also set your computer up as a router.. google "ICS" or "NAT in windows 2000 server" if interested.. this would require 2 interfaces though (nics)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom