router/firewall address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITwannabee

In Runtime
Hi guys...

I have a question. how do i change the address of the router? for example, when i use IE i type 192.168.0.1 or something in the address. How do i change that so i can type the word "router" on the address instead of numbers. One of the guys showed me how to do it but i forgot. Please let me know if i'm not explaining this clear enough.

Thanks..

well, the consultant that came to work yesterday did something. i purchased this anti-spam called the Barracuda. instead of typing 192.168.10.1 in the web address, i can now type http://antispam:8000. He could've named it anything he wanted to. How did he do this? it seemed pretty simple so i didn't really bother paying attention but now, i can't figure it out.

look to change the name of the router in its config or change it NetBios name. you could prolly also modify your lmhosts file locally on your machine for a manual name to ip translation

from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...elp/4fbaebbb-6334-4b26-8118-cb36a261978a.mspx

NetBIOS name resolution
NetBIOS name resolution means successfully mapping a NetBIOS name to an IP address. A NetBIOS name is a 16-byte address that is used to identify a NetBIOS resource on the network. A NetBIOS name is either a unique (exclusive) or group (nonexclusive) name. When a NetBIOS process is communicating with a specific process on a specific computer, a unique name is used. When a NetBIOS process is communicating with multiple processes on multiple computers, a group name is used.

An example of a process that uses a NetBIOS name is the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks service on a computer running Windows XP Professional. When your computer starts up, this service registers a unique NetBIOS name based on the name of your computer. The exact name used by the service is the 15-character computer name plus a 16th character of 0x20. If the computer name is not 15 characters long, it is padded with spaces up to 15 characters.

When you attempt to make a file-sharing connection to a computer by using its computer name, the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks service on the file server you specify corresponds to a specific NetBIOS name. For example, when you attempt to connect to a computer called CORPSERVER, the NetBIOS name corresponding to the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks service on that computer is:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom