Right Click Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulquiorra Schiffer

In Runtime
I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit.

Whenever I right click on my desktop, there is a long delay. It's usually around five seconds.

I noticed this just now. I'm thinking it might have to due with the updates I installed today, including service pack 2 and the latest driver for Nvidia GeForce GTX 280.

Right now I'm downloading Counter-Strike: Source from Steam, but I highly doubt that is the problem.

Take off the aero interface to see if the system is just lagging and cannot keep up with demands. What is your CPU / RAM usage when idle? Anything else slow, like opening files / programs?

What is in your task manager? What is your CPU usage at? what is the explorer.exe usage at?

Nothing else is slow, just right clicking on desktop. If I right click a file on my desktop, it's instant. I only have the problem when it's an empty space.

My CPU usage is very low. It stays at 1-5 percent, but when Steam is open, it jumps an extra 10 percent. I've tested right clicking even when Steam is closed, but there is no difference.

So it is only when trying to access the Properties of the desktop? This is normal. Even in Win7 there is roughly a 3 second delay. It is no different in Vista. It is because of the new way they do the Theme Management. I see a 3 or so second delay. It is not something that can be fixed.

THere is about a 1 second delay on my laptop running Vista. Sometimes it may take up to 5 seconds if it is not plugged in and I am doing a few other tasks.

Yes that is what i meant cause that is the main purpose for right clicking on the desktop is to get to the desktop properties to change something with your setup. There are other options, but they are not as widely used as the Properties.

Dont know what to tell you. I know that it takes a few seconds on my machine. It is just one of the quirks of Vista.

Maybe search for a alternative to creating a new folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom