Reverse md5sum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMonkey

Beta member
Every program has an md5sum, it's like a digital fingerprint. These are used to show if a program has been tampered with.

I was wondering, is there a way to "reverse" the md5sum of a program? Like, putting in the md5sum into a program and it creates the program that owns that md5sum.

This would be very interesting and it could be used a lot instead of downloading. :grin:

There might be a third party software that ""might" be able to update the md5checksum, as i seen this possibility.
E.g. Swat 4 uses an application called "UCC.exe" with a batch script containing:

cd .\System\

..\..\Content\System\UCC.exe mastermd5 -c

pause

the reason is because an md5 hash, any hash really is lossy. i.e. data is lost in the hashing of a file/password/etc. that is why the hash on a 650mb iso is still only 4kb or whatever.

the reason that there is a theoretical number of files that can have the same hash is because of this lossy-ness. hash collisions in the real world, however, are not an issue.

the reason is because an md5 hash, any hash really is lossy. i.e. data is lost in the hashing of a file/password/etc. that is why the hash on a 650mb iso is still only 4kb or whatever.

the reason that there is a theoretical number of files that can have the same hash is because of this lossy-ness. hash collisions in the real world, however, are not an issue.

This is the correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom