retrieving file from virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

just_begin

Solid State Member
hi... i need some help

It was like this. I was told that the computers in my campus are using virtual memory. So that if u save the file, such as MS Word documents, and then u turn off the computer and turn it on again, the file u've saved before will be gone. And it's happened.
Well i need to retrieve some files from this type of computer. Is it possible? If it is, how to do it?

thank u all for the comments

Depends on how they are doing it. If they are giving you a Virtual drive in RAM or if it's just virtual on the hard disk. If it's ram, then there is no way to get the data back. If it's hard disk, there is a chance, but it takes a program to do it. The problem is that the virtual disk is over wrote a lot since anything you do on the machine is writing data to the disk.
Do you know how it's setup on the machine? Are you sure it's a vitual disk? Could they just treat all logins as desposable and rest your login after you log off. Does a restart delete everything or do you have to reboot?

Inaris said:
Depends on how they are doing it. If they are giving you a Virtual drive in RAM or if it's just virtual on the hard disk.

This one I don't know. I just to check it out with the computer guy

Inaris said:
Do you know how it's setup on the machine? Are you sure it's a vitual disk? Could they just treat all logins as desposable and rest your login after you log off. Does a restart delete everything or do you have to reboot?

the setup? well in general, It's a windows XP. It only has Administrator account and guest account. Everybody using this computer log in to guest account. about the restart and reboot thing, I have to check it out also. And what do you mean by "rest your login after you log off?"

thanks 4 the answer :)

ok, you said guest account... ignore my message. Guest accounts are just tossed when you log off. Nothing is saved to the machine that way. It's controlled via GPO on the machine or domain. It's not something you can get around. i would suspect that the files are gone at this point, as once you log off, the account is reset. If you can get on the machine as an admin, you can run a program to see if it will find the file, but the likey hood of it being there still and not being overwritten is pretty low...

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom