Resurrecting Old Laptop - Terrible Updating Procedure

TonyD

Beta member
Hello,
This is my first post to this forum so I'll start by saying hi!
I have a Sony T1XP from 2004 that is obviously struggling a bit these days with its obsolete hardware, but it runs Windows XP and has built-in wireless, bluetooth, a DVD drive, is incredibly light and a decent bright and high resolution screen.
Recently I have decided to do a full factory reinstall from the internal recovery partition. This rolled back the entire system to 2004 days, of course, with Windows XP SP2 and the other applications that were pre-installed on the machine like Photoshop Elements 2!!!
I could not get the wireless working - found out that I needed to install KB893357 in order for XP to recognise WPA2. Sorted.
I could not get the updates working - found out that I needed to install a "Windows Update Agent".
Quite a few drivers and applications to update from the Vaio update site - and the Vaio update utility had to update itself a few times before that started working as it should!
So finally the windows updates are rolling in - this has been going on for hours and XP SP3 still hasn't materialised... it is going to be a long night.
Eventually the machine will be set up as I want it, with all unnecessary applications and bloatware removed (I only have an internal 40GB hard disk to play with)*
So the big question is - how to create a recovery disk to get the machine to exactly the point in time I have installed everything and all the updates are in place. Basically I want to be in a situation of just running a new image of the hard disk once everything is just as I want it, before I install any software, so if I need to do the reinstall in the future the operating system will be SP3 with updates to this point in time, and then all I have to do is choose what extra software to install over the top (I prefer it that way because what i have running on the machine might be very dependent on my current workflow, and I want to minimise clutter)
Any suggestions of how to do this would be very much appreciated.

* I am thinking of buying one of those Verbatim 32GB USB sticks that is practically invisible in the USB port - that will be where I put all my files and documents - thus I have deliberately not partitioned the hard disk because it is simply not big enough for partitioning any more!

Thanks for any insight and help you can provide.

Best wishes

Tony

There is no Recovery Disk for XP that will get you to the point you are at when you finished with all the update installs. But there is free Imaging software.

FOG or CloneZilla.

Make a direct image of the drive. That will get you to where you want to be. Side note, I just setup up a HTPC Streaming PC connected to my HDTV Downstairs. I had the same issue. Installed XP on the machine since it was from 2003. Even with installing XP SP3 on teh drive there was still 175 updates that needed to be done. With such an old machine it took almost 2 days to get it fully updated. Granted I did not do updates during the day, as I was using it to stream. But I can say that after XP there was still 175 updates to install. So you are in for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom