resuming from windows

familyman01

Baseband Member
Yet again, I have all settings in my power management to NEVER hibernate or sleep, or turn off the display or whatever. And every time I am away from my laptop, the sucker has me "resume windows" when I come back, I NEED this laptop to be on because I lose wifi (legal) seeding torrents when it hibernates. Power cord shows plugged in and charged.

What am I missing?

windows 7 home premium x64
Dell whatever laptop

You checked the Advanced Power Settings dialog?

You can also disable the 'power off this device to conserve power' for your wifi card through Device Manager.

I just set advanced settings to maximum performance with nothing set to sleep ever. And all three or four of my random wireless network adapters were set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", so I unchecked them all and saved. Stupid Dell, when I install the wifi driver from the website, I automatically get the real Centrino N1030 and then multiple miniport adapters for some reason.

Real question is this, why would windows change these setting AGAIN without my consent? I hate using MY pc the way I want to for so long then windows tosses a wrench in my cogs. This has happened a few times and linux just looks better and better every darn day, and I hate linux.

Can't say I've ever had those settings revert on me unless I did something like a System Restore or a major update (like new Service Pack). Could be a software conflict you're having, unless you did indeed do a System Restore?

oh heck no, i don't believe in system restore, leaving residual files all up on my harddrive, and there's been no software updates or changes either. just that whole deal with the external harddrive acting weird, could possibly the hidden files that were installed on the external from the OTHER machine made it over to my laptop? but even then, that doesn't account for the last time this happened.

To clarify, I did a clean install and full windows 7 updates on the other pc with my laptop's external connected, I didn't put the files there, windows did without my consent, hey windows, it's an external, theres no need to mess with it when the OS is on the main drive.

Last edited:
oh heck no, i don't believe in system restore, leaving residual files all up on my harddrive, and there's been no software updates or changes either. just that whole deal with the external harddrive acting weird, could possibly the hidden files that were installed on the external from the OTHER machine made it over to my laptop? but even then, that doesn't account for the last time this happened.

To clarify, I did a clean install and full windows 7 updates on the other pc with my laptop's external connected, I didn't put the files there, windows did without my consent, hey windows, it's an external, theres no need to mess with it when the OS is on the main drive.

Windows Update by default puts the temp Windows Update files on the disk with the largest free space.

Yeah, my sister has a dinky harddrive. But the question still remains, will another computer see these temp files and get "confused"? That's the only thing I can think of, after the format and chkdsk the external hasn't dropped once, still on the same port and all. So I am crossing the port of the list, and if the enclosure is causing trouble, it isn't anymore, so I'm X'ing that off the list, the drive came up clean, so I'm crossing that off the list too. Only thing left is software, but there's been no changes to any programs or any updates to the laptop. I just don't want this to happen again ya know?

Now that it's working fine, can I even troubleshoot anymore? If you can suggest something more affordable than icydock (but better than rosewill), I will totally get a new enclosure if you still think that was the issue.

Back
Top Bottom