Restrictions on use of Internet Options - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Restrictions on use of Internet Options

I am trying to access Internet Options in Tools on Internet Explorer on Windows XP. I am getting a message that the operation has been cancelled because of restrictions on this computer.
It is in fact my own stand alone home PC. I am sure that the problem is due to recent problems with spyware intrusion. I have gone through the WAREZ clean up routine and cleared things out, and I think somehow my computer settings have been modified.
Can anyone tell me how to put my Internet Explorer settings back to the default of Windows XP, so that I can access my internet options once more. I discovered the problem in trying to change my home page.
Many thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

I had to help my friend with a similar problem. He had just bought a new computer from best buy. He couldn't access any other sites but yahoo.com and bestbuy.com I tried to change his internet options and it wouldn't let me without a password. Unfortunately he never got a password with his computer. I looked it up on the internet and found it was a little registry key I had to delete. I deleted it and everything was just fine. I will search for it again.

"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

was it the content advisor that is blocking you? Because that is what happended to my friend. Here is how I fixed it:

here:

http://www.pchell.com/support/contentadvisor.shtml

and here:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/ie_tip...ontent_advisor

to summarize these two pages, in regedit go to:
Go to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Policies/Ratings

click on the ratings folder and delete the "key" icon.
"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

KpmWrestler,
The only icon in my ratings folder is ab(default) Type REG_SZ. I presume this is not Key, and should not be deleted? Thanks for your efforts
Closed Thread