restoring windows xp to out-of-box state

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchagonado

Baseband Member
I need to know how to completely reboot windows xp from disc. When I insert the restore disc I get a
little pop up thing with a few options, one of them being "Install Windows Xp". This one
being the only logical one to select for my purposes. When I select this one I get a message
saying:
Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version
on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your
computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

Then it gives you the option to Continue, Cancle, or go to Details. It wont let me click continue so
Go to details. This takes me to a windows help and support page that instructs me to:

To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD, and follow the
instructions for a new installation.

Warning: The default setup options will replace your existing version of Windows with this version.
If you wish to keep both versions you must select a new destination folder for this version of
Windows. If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your
computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

This is where I am stuck. I have tried to be as precise with every piece of information as possible
but if you have any questions you need answered I will do my best to answer them. I need to do this
because my computer has been bogged down with all kinds of things that one wouldn't want on their
computer. Thanks for the help in advance

i'm not sure i understand.

reboot your computer with the disc in the drive, when it says "press any to boot from CD", press a key. if it doesn't say that, then you need to set your bios options so that it boots to cd first.

after it boots to the cd, you will have the option of wiping your drive clean and reinstalling windows. you will lose all of your data, but i assume thats what you want to do.

i hope i answered your question.

You need to boot off the cd, dont install it within windows and you will not get this error message.

i set dvd rom drive to 1st in boot order but i dont get the option to wipe my drive clean, just some other options

derrmc said:
do you have sp2 installed? if so, uninstall it and try again.

he has sp2 and that why he has that option. check my sig for powermax cd iso to wipe your hard drive clean.

powermax would just fix the problem... sorry when im tired i don't post that well.. just simple to the point answers.

boot up off the powermax floppy once you have it downloaded and it has created the floppy. then just follow the instructions it gives you. it shall format your disk for you, then try booting from the cd and installing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom