Restoring Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares6735

Baseband Member
I recently reformatted 2 of my hard drives and did a fresh install of Windows. I moved everything I wanted onto a folder in my 3rd hard drive and backed up my registry with Registry Repair Wizard 2006. Now when I backed up the registry I was running in Windows XP HOME Edition and now the new install is with Windows XP PRO Edition and if I try to use Registry Repair Wizard 2006 to reinstate the old registry, Windows won't load when I restart and I am assuming it is because it is a cross between the OS. So I am wondering if I can get Windows XP Home and do a full install of that, is it likely that the registry will work fine reinstated then?

PS: I had to do a full install with Windows XP Pro because it was the only full version I had. Also, I didn't realize that Windows has a method of backing up the registry itself... that probably would have been better, but hey you learn something about computers every day right?

so you backed up everything to another hdd, backed up the registry and then reformatted and then reinstalled the backup of the older xp registry?

If you were to do a clean install of XP Home...you shouldn't have any trouble getting all of your data back up and running.

Ok good, I am hoping that backup of the registry I made while running in XP Home will work when I do a clean install of XP Home.

To be clear... I backed up my data on my largest HD and then I backed up the registry after that with that Registry Wizard 2006 and then I formatted my 30Gb and 80Gb Hard drives and I then did a clean install of Windows XP Pro because it was the only full version I had. However, I am hoping the old registry will work if I try to reinstall it on a clean install of Windows XP Home, which I will try to get a copy of today.

dont import your old registry, there is no need for that, all you are looking for is problems when doing that

Ok... well I am going to do an install of Windows XP Home anyway... if I dont restore the registry then I have about 200 things I have to reinstall, reconfigure, redownload, etc so what else do I do? It will be a clean install and format anyway, so if it creates problems I can allways format and start fresh again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom