Restore problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbp

Baseband Member
Norton scan is still showing 400.000 files, an increase of 250.000 in two weeks. Most are reading as follows C:Windows\installer\ followed by various no.s. So far no-one has thrown any light on this prob. Checked search facility, nothing unusual there so tried restore. It fails. Any more ideas? All advice very welcome.
Barb
ps I downloaded some music from utube a couple of weeks ago. Have I introduced a problem?

Hello,

As i seen someone say in your thread in the hardware area. Norton scans all files in every folder. Including the ones in a zip file or rar files. Each file contained in there is a single file while all contained within the zip or rar. So while you see it as a single file it shows up at more on a Norton scan.

Not to mention Norton also scans all cab files and stuff like that the same way. It looks like a single file to you but yet it contains upwards of 100 or more files. The first Norton scan also could have been jsut a quick scan and not a in depth scan while the one that shows a increase of 250K files could be a in depth scan that went thru your whole Windows folder. Which would easily account for the increase of files.

The music could have been infected. Norton is not among the best. In fact it is amongst the worst rated Anti Virus software out there. So if you did get infected Norton didnt notice.

The installer folder is the temp files for Windows updates and various other software applications that you installed. You can remove those from your PC without any adverse affects.

You also have to remember that Norton scans hidden files and folders which are not shown to you as a user. You would have to force Windows to show them to you.

This is not unusual behavior for a virus scanner to have a low count the first time then a high number of files scanned the next time. In fact you want to see a high number each time. That shows that is scans a high number of your files for infection. IF it stayed low then i would be scared cause it was not scanning enough of hte files to find anything.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

showfiles.png

Open MyComputer. Go under Tools>Folder Options then click the view tab. It will get you to that image. From there select to show hidden files and folders. You dont have to show the system protected files for this. Click okay and exit from the Window.

Then go under your C:\ drive and find those installer files. Select them all and delete them. Dont delete the whole folder go into the folder and do a Ctrl + A to select all and then delete them. That folder is still needed.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom