Restore Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunknut

Beta member
I've been repairing PC's for awhile now. I recently got my A+ 2006 and decided to throw a few business cards around and maybe list myself in the phone book. Before I do that though, there is still one thing I'm not sure of.

If Windows needs to be reinstalled on a customer's computer and they lost their restore disk, what do you do? Is it legal for me to use my own OEM copy and just change the product key to the one that matches the sticker on their case? Or do I have to obtain a restore disk from the manufacturer?

only thing is many certs don't know how to really do the myriad reinstalls to match the key...it can be a nightmare, lol

I recently did a rebuild of one of my HPs who's recovery partition evidently had a corrupted file. I turned in on and noticed one of those recovered segments in there and deleted it. Needless to say, the HP recovery did not work because it halted at one file...it installed fine, but not on reboot.

So I created a WinXP install, and got it to work with this computers legit key...I think that is key...no pun intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom