Restarts and BSOD after install of new CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carodor

Solid State Member
Hello.

I just upgraded my computer's cpu from an Intel 2200 to an Intel Q9300. Before installing the new cpu I had no previous problems with random restarts. With the new CPU it will restart at random when putting loads onto it. My system reboots when trying to play an online game or a video from youtube. I've been checking my temps with Realtemp and my GPU is running at 50c with running normal applications and peaking at 56c when putting a load onto it. My fans and my case are all clean.

I am curious if I need to update my bios. According to the Asus website I have the current bios version to run with a Q9300. Windows does recognize my cpu and shows in all the system settings. My bios also displays the correct information for my Q9300. I'm at a loss.

My specs...

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
2.50 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9300
Asus P5QL PRO mobo
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc bios version 0402
4 Gigs DDR2 with shields (Yeah I know, I'm upgrading to Win 7 asap)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
650w PSU
All my drivers are up to date.

Any suggestions on what could be causing my ramdon reboots? All my components seem cool to the touch except my GPU but it's not peaking over 60c. My CPU and heat sink (after market w/ copper and alum fins) also feel cool. Also used thermal grease upon installaion. There must be something I missed.
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Also, I noticed a blue screen right before the reboots. I cannot read any of it as it goes by too fast. I do however have a dump file. The date on the dump file shows Dec 31 because I tried to remove my battery to reset my CMOS just wishing it would fix my problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hzgm0zdkhyz

The problem is from installing a new CPU with an old install of Windows. You can't do that. You must do a repair install or a reinstall of the OS.

The reason is this. When you install windows it takes a hardware profile down. This hardware profile is used to install the proper drivers with the components used at install. So your system is trying to use drivers for a Intel 2200 CPU when you are using a Intel Q9300 CPU. That is why you are experiencing the issues you are.

Do a repair install of your OS. That will fix your issues.

Hmm.. I didn't think of that. I saw in the system hardware profiles that it was seeing the new CPU but good ol windows loves to be sneaky.

Thank you for the info. I will try that asap and hopefully that will solve my issue. I will post an update.

The problem is from installing a new CPU with an old install of Windows. You can't do that. You must do a repair install or a reinstall of the OS.
I think that's true for motherboards, but not CPU's. I've replaced many CPU's without reinstalling Windows and it's always worked fine for me, except where the motherboard was the problem.

The first thing you need to do is check if the motherboard's BIOS version supports the CPU you upgraded to. If it doesn't you might need to update it.
Also, it is always a good idea to clear the CMOS/restore default settings; sometimes that can cause issues with a new BIOS or new CPU.

Otherwise, the only other things I can think of are if you haven't installed the heatsink or thermal paste properly (overheating), or if the CPU draws significantly more power and the motherboard is only designed for lower end systems with lower power draw.

I think that's true for motherboards, but not CPU's. I've replaced many CPU's without reinstalling Windows and it's always worked fine for me, except where the motherboard was the problem.

The first thing you need to do is check if the motherboard's BIOS version supports the CPU you upgraded to. If it doesn't you might need to update it.
Also, it is always a good idea to clear the CMOS/restore default settings; sometimes that can cause issues with a new BIOS or new CPU.

Otherwise, the only other things I can think of are if you haven't installed the heatsink or thermal paste properly (overheating), or if the CPU draws significantly more power and the motherboard is only designed for lower end systems with lower power draw.

Apokalips was correct. I flashed my bios freaking out the entire 30 seconds it took to do it and that has cleared up my restart issues. I have also ordered windows 7 and waiting for ever so slow Microsoft to finish processing my order. I hate having 4 gigs of ram and only being able to use 3.

Thank you very much for all your help. You guys were very informative and just plain awesome.

Well Apok was right in this case. But in some cases switching CPU's can cause this problem as well. I would read the Win7 FAQ thread. Cause you cant direct upgrade from XP to Win7.

Not all the time. While that is 1 factor, it also comes down to Windows itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom