Restart Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerosweet

Solid State Member
I have a problem with my Sony Vaio. the problem began at first with a random restart every few days, as anyone could imagine the problem progressed and became 2 or 3 restarts a day, and now it's 2 or 3 restarts an hour. I'm not really great with computers but I will post the error things as best I can:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
BAD_POOL_CALLER

I know that is a very broad range, and each one can mean 1,000 different things... but on stop code I get a alot is something like this 0x000008E. and that's really all i know. If anyone here could tell me how to get advanced error info from my system log, i will do that and post them. I'm not sure if this is software related or hardware. But I took it to best buy, They ran a Diagnostic on it, and suggested I replace the Graphics card, that didn't work, they eventually told me they could not resolve my problem and refunded my money. So I took it to a better place and I Just got my computer back from them, they are a reputable computer repair shop in town called INGRAM Computers, the situation was again unable to be resolved.

I've installed a new WD 120 GB HD and did a system restore using my reestore disks, New Graphics card, new ram... and tried different variations of all of them to try and resolve this problem, still no luck.

Just incase anyone needs my system specs to help me:
Sony Vaio RS-530g
3.2GHZ
512 mb factory installed ram
ATI 9200 128Mb Graphics card (factory)
120GB Western Digitel 8mb Cache HD

I have gotten refunds on all my purchases with the new hardware because they were not the problem, so I am not out any money except for the Diagnostic fee from best buy. Basically what I am trying to figure out now is if my next task has a chance of working.

I purchased a new MID sized ATX case
a new p4 compatable motherboard

I plan to install my current sony componets(the ram, video card, proccessor, and the new WD hard drive) to the new motherboard inside the new case, and install a fresh copy of linux, I will also get a new power supply from the case I purchased, and I am just wondering if anyone thinks this may solve my problem. My opinion is that it is a sony driver problem, motherboard problems, or power supply... But im not sure if my errors i'm getting match that at all, so am I wasting my time doing a motherboard switch, or should I attempt to do it... I really need help, I have $1300 invested in this VAIO, and no warranty, this motherboard switch will only cost me 240 all in all, and I will have help from a licenced computer repair guy. Please any input anyone has will be greatly appreciated. I just don't know where else to go, or what else to do. Thanks in Advance

I posted this is 2 sections, the hardware and software ones. i didnt know which one it applied to, and if someone on one section could help me more because of the type of problem

I had two problems like this,one was a bad memory chip.try different memory if you can,and the other was a bad power supply. hope this helps.The 0x000008e is a memory fault error. see if you can get two 512 mb chips that way if one is bad you still have the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom