Resizing partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

chara33

Daemon Poster
I am going to install win 7 on my hard drive. I have vista on it's own HD. I have XP on my primary HD which I want to resize. How do I go about doing this? Do I need to be on XP to do this or does it not matter if I am on vista?

Do I just click on the drive in computer mgmnt and right click on it and select extend volume and go from there? I appreciate any help given.

I'd suggest downloading GParted. It's a bootable CD which is made for this, it'll help you resize the xp boot partition without stuffing anything up.

Be VERY careful when doing this. If not done properly you could lose all your boot info. Using GParted is the way to go. Scroll to the bottom of the forums where we have the member tutorials. The GParted one is in there.

I guess I am stupid.I am trying to put 3 operating systems on my PC. They are Xp, vista and windows. Plz dont ask me why I want all three. I am using Gparted live and I seem to be doing something wrong. I have 2 HD's on my PC. One is 70 GB and the other is 500 Gb. I want to put XP on 70 Gb HD and the other 2 on 500 GB.

What I need to know is I partition and format 70 GB as primary and ntfs and it works fine. When I put the other 2 OS on separate OS's and i partition 2 different ones do I need to make them both secondary partitions and format them both as NTFS? I am screwing something up but not sure what. I appreciater any help given.

thx

Wouldn't this be x100 easier to just run VirtualBox? VirtualBox

What do you mean by XP, Vista and Windows? All are Windows OSes.

Ok. I would like to have 3 operating systems XP, Vista and 7 on one computer. I have 2 HD's on my computer. I will put Xp on my 70GB HD and that will work fine. When I use gparted live to partition off my 500 GB hd into 2 separate partitions do i make them as secondary partitions and format as ntfs? I am not sure so if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I am not sure. With virtual box, you could run Vista and XP in 7. Or vice versa. Without having to worry about this partition stuff. I just think it would be a lot easier. It isn't hard to learn. Thats my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom