Resetting Security Descriptor on a folder - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Resetting Security Descriptor on a folder

My client has an HP laptop that the power port got broke. The laptop has been working fine. He didn't want to spend the money to repair, so he just wanted to recover his data. I installed his HDD in an External USB 2.5" HDD case. Plugged it in his desktop computer and started copy files. Everything seemed to be fine but then we found the problem. All his documents were stored in his My Documents folder under the user profile "Owner". I can access the folders under the Administrator, Guest and All User profiles but when I click on the Owner profile it says "Access Denied" The old computer had no passwords or security set on anything. I decided to run Norton's Disk Doctor to see if the Hard Drive had any errors. It found errors with the security descriptors. It said it fixed it but it didn't. Now I can open the Owner Profile folder and see all his sub-folders but it gives me the same "Access Denied" error on all the folders and shows they are empty. He has about 15GB stored in these folders. I also ran Scan Disk to try to repair the Security Descriptors with no luck. Is there another way to repair the Security Descriptors so I can recover his data. Thanks in advance!!
Closed Thread